another new guy with a question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DodgeTruckMan731, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

well i started my business with a 21" craftsman mower cuttin grass on my block, i get my drivers licence next year and im goin pro with all the goodies:) . Although im stummped i cant decided on which walk behing mower to go with the bobcat classic gear drive 36" or the exmark metro 36" both fixed decks? any help on deciding and any other tips would be GREATLY appriciated.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

sorry but someone will be saying it, might as well be me, your going pro, does that mean with insurance, business license, commercial plates and vehical insurance, paying taxes on income......problem is its not impossible but, very diffucult to get the things you need to go pro until your 18.... you can get and adult to help you, that is the best way

and do a search on the mowers, youll find the exmark 36 has some problems..... good luck

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you are doing this as a hobby buy the belt. If you are trying to make a living, Go hydro young man.
    The hydro mower will cost you less.

Yes, you will lay more cash on the counter when you buy but from that point on the unit will always be more productive and easier to use. You will make more money each day so the unit will cost less.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I'd never get anything less than a 48" it is my favorite size because much like the Hydro vs. the belt-drive, the 48" cuts 25 percent more grass meaning you get done in 7.5 minutes vs. 10, and 11 minutes vs. 15, etc, etc...
    The mind set about 'but with a 36" I'll be able to do gated yards' is flawed in that this automatically stunts your income... The 48" fits through MOST 4-foot gates, there are not THAT many 3-foot gates out there and for those who DO have them, I haven't found many customers willing to pay extra for the fact it takes LONGER to cut with a smaller deck. Another way to say it is, with the larger deck you get more cha-ching/hour.

Thou I do have a belt drive now I will take into consideration the Hydro on my next new mower purchase. On that note you might check into buying a Used Wb when starting out, operating one of these machines is NOT as easy as it looks and a used one is better as a learning machine as it is much easier on the mind (and the pocketbook) to damage a 1000-dollar machine vs. a 3 or 4 thousand one plus you might have some money left over, not a bad thing to have in the first year.

Last but not least, all my mowers today have fixed decks. I love the light weight and superior handling performance of a one-piece machine, thou it does take some practice, the fixed deck is a true grass-cutter, float-decks are like having learning wheels thou they ARE more forgiving of mistakes (with the fixed deck you need to be careful, lol).

Oh my, 10am, time to go to work :)

5. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

I am under 18 and am doing mostly nabors in a close area. i am going to start doing it profecnely next year andi am puting insurens and all that stuff under my moms name

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you just have to get an adult to help thats all...

no offense ment but you might want to use the spell check feature.... i have to , my spelling is horrible also....

7. TLC Lawn Care

TLC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

You might want to spend your summers in school instead of mowing grass. Your spelling is atrocious.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

LOL ;) Now TLC, thar wass not veey nise

9. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot for the help guys i really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna go with a Bobcat definatly a hydro but I'm gonna have to save up longer, alot longer , hope my old craftsman holds up another half year. after studying deeper into the Ex mark WB's i found out there not really what the said to be,Ex mark has better ZTR's than anything else. Also is there anyone that has some used equipment to sell in the Metro Detroit area, or if you know anybody that knows somebody that has a brother that knows somebody that knows someone,, ha ha, thanks again for the help:)