1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another new toy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jan 11, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a 24v cordless impact wrench today. This will come in handy in the field, should there be any blade issues. It claims to have 170lb. torque. Does anybody else use these for blades...and how do they perform?
  2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

What brand did you buy? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I've seen a ton of threads started about what your asking and all I hear is positive things about them.

3. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I bleed Dewalt yellow, I could not make myself fork out the money for this tool. I went by TSC and they had their Christmas tools on sale. I paid around $85.00 for the thing. I'm sure it does not have the quality of a Dewalt, but it is stamped with Goodyear racing. It only has (1) battery, as well.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think you may have just answered your own question. A good quality $200-$300 true 24V works well, the cheap ones though do not work anywhere near as well from what I have been told by some that have them. It may or may not take off your blades or more importantly get them back on tight enough. It will never have a true 170fpt like your original post said I doubt. Think about it, a good 24V battery alone, say a DeWalt or Snap-on is $85 by itself. Good luck though as a backup for the field it may do the job as I said.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 18v Makita...works great for in-field use when needed.