Another new website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by brbsta, Feb 1, 2009.

1. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

Finally made my website after a few years with a coming soon page. Not totally done yet but wanted to upload so i could start my search opt. Link is http://uticalawn.com/Index.php. Any comments would be great. And after reading many comments on here I'll will say that I know the site wont totally validate because I am using php.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Nice pic on the first page... but when you can, take it again right after you trimmed/edged that lawn.

3. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

Yea, I know problem was there's a foot of snow on the ground right now and that's the only picture I could find, had a computer crash a while ago and lost everything. This spring I have to get out and take picts and update site quite a bit.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

PHP is a server side language, it still outputs HTML code therefore the final source should be validated.

That being said, you only have 7 errors on your homepage using a strict DTD .... :clapping: These can be easily fixed.

5. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

The error I am getting is cause I am not declaring a Doc type in the content pages. I am in the main index, but not home.php, about and so on. If I declare it in the includes it fixes those errors, but give me like 3 different ones for declaring them twice. I don't know whats worse.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Is this home brewed php or are you using a CMS?

7. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

Its all my own coding. I can fix a few of the errors, but then I'm getting errors in view in different browsers. Having a real problem getting the who site centered in IE and FF. Im using a div which seems to take care of IE, but css is not working in IE what so ever. So I am having to use just a align tag to do it, just never ending.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Post the PHP code you are having problems with and I'll take a look.

Also, not following you on the "who site"

9. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

I ment to say whole site. Well the CSS I'm using to center the main table is

#center {
    display:block;
    margin:0 auto;
    }

Then my code is:
    <div id="center">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="center" align="center">

I know that is crazy redundant and I hate it. But the problem is I cannot get the site centered without all that I have tried everything. Any ideas on CSS to work in both IE and FF.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Your CSS is not valid code. I suggest you read up on the margin property. Also keep in mind, if the parser encounters an error when reading CSS, the rest of the file gets discarded. Furthermore, your CSS positioning is now worthless because of your hardcoded markup. Remove the positioning attributes in the HTML, fix the CSS and remove the block property.

Word of advice .. use something like a "center" class to do generic centering, use specific classes or ids for containers.

When designing CSS positioned sites (or any CSS) .... the validator is your best friend.