Another Newbie Question, Mufflers this time

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tim03, May 31, 2006.

1. Tim03

Tim03 LawnSite Member

Hello all!

I have been reading here about a month or so now. I don't have any equipment. I have been wondering about something the past few days.

Some of the posts from the regulars here I read that you wear ear protection, which is a good thing. My question is, which todays modern Auto technology, why haven't the mower manufacturer come out with quieter mowers, and I am mainly talking about the muffler.

For at least 10 years now the modern new car can barely be heard while parked running. Why hasn't some of that technology made it to mowers?

Has it ever been tried in the market place? Or is my impression of the noise level wrong? I would think offering a larger, quieter, more expensive muffler would at least be an option given by most manufacterers since you probably run a mower more every day than your car or truck.

I guess trying to put a larger muffler on a trimmer or blower would not be practical because of weight, right?

I am still learning a lot from here, I look forward to your responses, Thanks!
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd guess(though I'm no expert) that putting a large enough muffler on would possibly affect power, and be downright inconvenient on something like a trimmer.
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Close enough. To muffler an air cooled engine requires a large muffler and heat/durability is a large factor in why the exhaust isn't more quiet.
    Additionally, to muffle a motor commonly used on turf equipment robs a fair bit of available power as well.
  4. tehpr3chr

tehpr3chr LawnSite Member
    from NE GA

performance wise, if you muffle it, that little bit of hp that it does have will mean nothing...why a lot of people with street cars they take to the strip run test pipes or straight pipes instead of catalytic converters...more flow means more power!
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Truth be known, my Fs100 4-cycle trimmer is very quiet but you still have to wear ear protection because the machine has such torque that the string makes a deafening noise, and I am not joking. Without the string, it's no louder than a motorized scooter.

Engine-wise, the 4-cyclers are very quiet, with my br-550 backpack blower you do not have to wear ear protection but I do it out of habit.

On the odd side of things, there exists a benefit which only owners with some years in the business can relate to: When we're wearing the earplugs and the machine is running, nobody can bother us because for one, we can not hear them :headphones:
    Oh yeah, some of us listen to music, not all hearing protection is silent.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

well mine were pretty loud till I put a hood, fenders, and glass between me and the trimmer engine. No serioulsy though, I can run all day with no hearing protection but boy when I get home and the wife starts talking I need protection. You would think with hundreds of yrs of marriage they would have invented a mute button by now. ????J/K
  7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Switch to Vortex cutting line and enjoy the shhhhhhhhhh.