Another newbie question - what order to perform these services in?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Outdoor Essentials, May 10, 2008.

1. Outdoor Essentials

Outdoor Essentials LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants aeration, clean-up, dethatching and fertilizer. I'm thinking that I should dethatch, clean-up, aerate and then fertilize. Is this the correct order or should I change it?

Thanks in advance

Brian :canadaflag:

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good. Too much thatch in a lawn can actually can "bind" nutrients in it and not let the nutrients actually get down into the soil.

Be careful on your fert rate though. When you aerate a lawn your exposing the root zone. Too much fert can burn it. If you go with a slow release fert then you have less chances of that hapening.

Personally, unless it's a newer construction home, I feel aerations and de-thatching is a crock. The only reason they ever became popular is during the late 70's and early 80's, there were grub control chemicals that were killing earth worms. The only time I've seen it needed is when you have newer houses with major compaction in the lawn from heavy equipment and trucks parking there, and when there is no earth-worms to help naturally aerate the soil and eat the thatch.

I will say though, it's good money doing these things, and they don't hurt the lawn, and there is some benifits to it.

3. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

how are you planning on dethatching. power or rake?

4. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

first off does it need dethatching. If so I would go at it like this dethatch, and clean up then aerate. You will not need to mow again after you do your cleanup becuase you will use your mower to bag off the thatch and while doing this you also give the lawn a trim. Before you aerate see if the customer will water their lawn the evening before you wnat the lawn to be fairly moist. I would put a fert with prem's down while I was at the house as soon as I was done aerateing. Then make sure the fert gets watered in.

Most lawn do not need dethatching that often unless the person is heavy on fets or you have a sod that is prone to thatch problems.

Aeration is important than dethatching. a good aeration will take care of the need to ever dethatch in most turf's. It helps deter compacton and allows the fertilizer to go down into the ground.

5. Outdoor Essentials

The lot is about 3/4 of an acre, I will be using my tractor with a tow behind dethatcher.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a power de-thatcher or just a cheap tine de-thatcher. If it's a cheapo then you might as well bust out the garden rake as you'll get better results.

7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree a sping tine pull behind rake does a more appropiate job than a deep tine thatcher. Their are only a handful of places a deep tine dethatcher is needed. most all of these are if serious thatch is an issue. I would say 1 inch of more. I have a suspision that the person in wanting you to thatch to help get rid of the snow matting. if this is the case a spring tine thatch rake for large areas or a leaf rake for smaller issues will do the trick.

8. ProCutLawnCare10

ProCutLawnCare10 LawnSite Member

Are you a liicensed fert. applicator? If not hire someone who is because if you burn up the lawn.. It won't be good.

9. Outdoor Essentials

It is a pull behind spring tine dethatcher and I am not a licenced applicator yet.