1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"another newbie"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by high tides, Mar 4, 2006.

1. high tides

high tides LawnSite Member

I am a Starbucks Coffee Manager "refugee" and am now on the verge on starting up my own lawn business. I have the opportunity to "test the waters" by using my neighbors Riding Mower + trailer (he's taking a break from the business) ... Its almost new (20 hours of usage) and is small to med. in size - he paid around $3800...

What is a fair price to pay him for 'renting' his mower ? Should I pay him a few $ by the hour since the mower display hours used ? THX !!!
  2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Mow his yard for free, and put gas in his truck, and pay his power bill, and...
  3. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't ya try it for a few yards and see if that's what you really want to do?
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That in itself speaks volumes! He is taking a "break" because he hasn't made any money. And only 20 hours of usage? That's less than One weeks work for even a very small part-timer....

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

That is a home owner mower, ( maybe a lawn tractor?)
    Borrowing cheap equipment to do an expencive job is not wise.

Just start your own business. This is a business A REAL business,
    If you want to test waters than test them the right way.
  6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

yes, this is exactly what i was thinking. nice post PM
  7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

I'd give it a try, just to get my feet wet........But remember the mower is the most important piece of equipment.......even a WB w/a velky would probably blow a homeowners tractor away.....But hay if ya got an extra 10k to blow on a biz you have no experance in "GodBless You"........:usflag: