Another one bites the dust!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Full throttle lawn care, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Well boys I've been in the biz full time for 8 months and I've never been so tired in my life. My lips are sunburned and blistered my back is killing me and I'm suffering from mild heat stroke thats been going on for two weeks now and no mater how much I drink it's never enough. I've decided that I'm just not cut out for this biz and killing my self over it just is not worth it. I dropped all my clients but three good ones and will be looking for a new career starting Monday. I'm really bummed out that at 36 I can't hack the Florida heat and my back is wasted and I still owe 10,000. I give you boys credit that can work 12hr days and still get out of bed to do it all over again. I wish all of you the best of luck on a great season. Now I just need to tell my wife. How in the hell is the best way to do that? Man I hate to fail at anything but I see no way around it? :cry:

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well I can't say as I have any sympathy for you Fullthrottle. You should have known better than to expose yourself to burning and sunstroke and worn a support for your back. Also you should not have booked more work than you can handle.
    There are such things as large brimmed sun hats and SPF50 lip protectant and sunscreen. You allowed yourself to dehydrate when it is very easy to stay hydrated, you qalolowed yourself to become overheated and burned when it is very easy to prevent those things happining all it takes is a little of your time.#1 job in this biz is to take care of yourself , you did not even try to do that so this is the result.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you retool? get people to do the work (supervised ofcourse) and then use your spare time to generate even more work THEY can do.

But if you do quit, can I have your blade sharpener?

4. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

ditto on the sharpener

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Florida can be brutal. but Sheshovel hit the nail on the head. you overextended yourself, and this is the result. if you dont take care of yourself first, bad things can and will happen to you.

6. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

This is not re assuring. This is my 4th month going full time and there are days it's very tough and very hot. I've never been to Florida so I don't know how hot it is down there but in Jersey the past week has been in the 90's. I bring 2 gallons of water each day. This is just for me. If I feel the effects of the heat I slow down. I'm my own boss and my health is more important than anything else. Also, I'm not working 12 hr days either.. Most days I'm only working about 8 with plenty of breaks. I'm going to go at my own pace and do a great job. So far this year most of my work has come from referral. I'm going off the advice on this forum and not growing too fast. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. This, for me, was a dream I had for a long time and I will continue at my own pace as long as I'm able. Good luck!

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear you are thinking of hanging it up, we get what you may call "warm" here in Wisconsin but we can also get very cold and wet. Are you able to just quit? 10K in debt wont go away and what are you going to do for cash?
    Any possibilities of cutting the jobs that are losers or PITAS and keep the easy ones. Bringing some money in is better than sitting at home wondering when the tow truck is coming.
    Sheshovel has definately made a point but I can say that it can be easy to look past your health when you are swamped with work and no one is there to help you. Any possibility of hiring someone to help you out? I just think its a shame if you started a business and its paying well because of good bidding forr you to throw it away. You have some reason for beginning but why give up so easily?
    I am not being critical of you as I have no idea of your personal situation aside from what you wrote here but if you can get this far its got to be tough to hang it up without trying something else. Take care.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Brings to mind the phrase-- If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. FLA can be brutal with the heat. sorry it did not work out.
    I just sold the maintenance side of my equipment. But not for the same reasons.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel for you, I really do. Sheshovel made some good points, which I should follow better than I do. I have been doing this for going on 8 years now "in the Florida heat" and yes it is tough. There are days when I wonder why I am doing this but there are also days when I realize why I AM. I have decided this year to try and slow down a liitle and try to pace myself more. I'm almost 47 and I'm not getting any younger so I plan to try and cut back a little (easier said then done, LOL) The best of luck to you whatever you decide to do and take care of yourself.

10. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. This Florida heat will suck the life oit of you in a heartbeat. But as mentioned above, you can prevent it. That is the hardest part of each and every day for me, trying to stay hydrated and healthy. I had to get 2 bags of fluid pumped into me a week and a half ago because I was so dehydrated. No worries though, as I am back to 100%. The heat just kicked my a$$ that day as it reached 101 degrees that day and humidity like I've never seen. Bottom line is it can be prevented for the most part. To me, nothing is going to stop me from fulfilling my dreams and goals with this business. Take care of #1, is #1 on the priority list.
    Good luck to all that you do in the future!