1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another one bites the Dust!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Over the years, I have accumilated alot of flyers and business cards of fly-by-night LCO's. I have a large board that I pin thier ads, flyers and business cards on. To earn a spot on the board they must fold. Today is a rather special day. A certain outfit that has been running around bad mouthing us and saying they were going to put us out of business has officially folded. When the guys got back today. They all knew why I was playing my favorite song "Another one bites the Dust".

I know many of you may think this is immature but when you are in this business you have to learn to vent in a healthy way. This is one of my ways of putting up with just some of the headaches that are associated with this industry.

In my defense, I am not a mean person and I do not get my jollies by watching people fail. This peticular outfit would have thrown a party had it been us.

How do you guys vent? :angry:
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never personally heard of a lawn care company going out of business.
  3. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

If it were me I would hurry to those guys accounts and pass out some cards hehe:D
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Not to sound like I don't have a heart, but this is actually one good reason to make friends with all the "little guys" and fly by nighter's.

When they go out, they'll call you to buy they're new shiney equipment at a quarter of the price they paid and they'll hand off the few customers they may have left on their list.

Hope this helps!
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my thoughts exactly guido.about another month of heat and the not so dedicated will be looking for a way out.happens a lot here
  6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You are the Man LawnGod! Love the idea. Heck, I am gonna start doing that! They drop like flies where I am. I am not a mean guy either and have no problem with honest/legal competition. Just hate the low-ballers. :laugh:
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a undisclosed retailer combating internal/external theft. We had a wall with the name badges of the not so sly thieves that were dismissed due to our keen insight.

I think it is a fun idea.

I wouldnt be able to pick up any customers because I am maxed out and do not desire to grow to be a Giant in the industry. But for the folks that do desire continued sales increases, taking full advantage of these "deaths" would be advisable.

Being friendly is usually in your best interest, privately and professionally.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Don't neccesarily think I would collect other people's property and pin it up to a board and call myself a lawn god. The next ufortunate victim may be you and the people pinned to that board will be laughing just as hard.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I like it. That's business. Pick your enemies carefully, they can be your greatest motivator.
  10. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful where you put your focus because we have a tendency to become similar to the 'object' of our focus. I think I would rather focus on a successful, well-run business and emulate their good qualities. Of course, buying equipment off of the failures has a certain satisfying ring to it. :)