1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another one bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Commander, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Commander

Commander Banned

Well I finally lost the last customer out of a group I used to work for. I got them a while back, 10 guys who worked at a store. They were all pains in the rear end to work for. They would b#$ch about the work that was done, they would want everything done right away, ask for something to be done and not want to pay me for it. Those guys are gone. The last guy got rid of me today. He never gave me a problem about money. His thing was that only I could do the work there, and that I couldn't bring my trailer. This is a rather good thing to have happened. So for those of you who are just starting out in this business let it be known that losing a customer, or customers is not always a bad thing.
  2. Greens Keeper

Greens Keeper LawnSite Member

It's very frustrating. I'm finding out being in this about 9-10 years You dont end up working for the very same people you start with. I read it in a landscape magazine a few years ago , as your buisiness grows so does the customers. as buisiness changes so do the clients you work for. good thing bad thing after building a relationship with them then is all of a sudden gone. I'm working tward jobs that clients need done. Not the luxury people but buisiness that will pay to have it done. Build decent relationship that way.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Not have my trailer there? Me only? I guess I'm more surprised you didn't get rid of him first.

Yes, its good when you reach a point that you decide what type of people you'll deal with. Kinda fun sometimes telling people I don't need your business. :)
  4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Good riddance!
    Bill Craig!
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure you will fill that gap...kind of like a bus...next one will be along in 10 minutes.
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I just raised my rates for a few customers in the hope that they will find someone else. Man, I hope I raised them enough, because these people are pains in the arse and don't pay on time. And their properties are a pain to mow.

The more I think about it, and from talking to my guys (who don't want to work on these properties), I should just tell them I can't handle their work anymore. Maybe I will do that this afternoon.