1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another one bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eslawns, Dec 13, 2000.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I see that Simplicity has acquired Giant-Vac. Wonder how all these recent consolidations will affect the quality and price, quality and availability of the products we use. Any thoughts? Will things be better or worse?
  2. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard good things about Simplicity, especially the older ones. Right now, I believe they're right up there, (better in my opinion) than John Deere and Cub Cadet. They currently make Massey Ferguson Garden Tractors and have made them since 1994, and they made the old Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors. They're website is http://www.simplicitymfg.com and the unofficial site of the old Siplicitys and Allis Chalmers is http://www.simpletractors.com
  3. We have not even began to see the consolidations in the smaller ticket equipment item's. Does anybody have any idea how many brands of walk behind mid mowers are made?? Well over twenty I know for sure..How much market share can a business survive on ??

There are a lot of inferior products on the market right now and maybe some consolidations will shake up the equipment business and move the manufactuers to build a better product for a reasonable price..and provide parts support to go with it. Note I did not say service support. Thats a few years off.

We can only hope.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

It can only improve the pool we have to choose from. Giant Vac mowers were junk, maybe simplicity will kill that end of giant vac and concentrate on the blowers and vacs.

I have a simplicity snowblower, very well made I might add.