Another One Bites The Dust

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwc, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from a lady wanting an estimate for mowing/full maintenance of her lawn. I thought it would be a good lawn to bid since the grass is not growing but she is thinking about it. Went and looked at the yard, it was about 14,000 feet. I told her it would be $60 per mow. She got real quiet and said oooooooooooooooo. I said what do you mean? She said my other lawn guy was doing this yard for $33 a time!!!!! I said well there is no way I can get even close to that.
    Come to find out, the yard man she had is no longer in business! Imagine that!

Just thought I would post this to let everyone on here that thinks they can charge NOTHING and stay in business what happens down the road. My advice: know your expenses BEFORE you bid the job, otherwise stop messing it up for the rest of us! :angry: :realmad: :angry: :realmad:

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks but the plain truth of the matter is that there will always be lowballers out there. I did it when i started out 5 years ago. I think as long as your doing good work and you take pride in what you do then the customers will come.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

see my signature,

someone elses signature is something like "I don't let the guy that just went out of business set my prices."

Yes there will always be lowballers, yes there will always be stupid people, yes there will even be some people who can work for less than you and still make more money than you. But generally speaking the lowballers get good customers then lose them, but get scrub customers and keep them forever. I for one am glad that they make good customers appreciate what I do, and they can have all the deadbeat late payers they want.

4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Be happy, another one bites the dust for not having a clue on overhead more than likely. But I do know the frustration you have right now, lots of lowballers in my neck of the woods ruining it for everyone else too.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

If you can honestly get $60 for a 14K sf. lawn, more power to you.
    I realize that prices range from area to area, but $60 still seems high to me.
    Couldn't take more then a half hour for one person with the right equipment.

6. packerbacker

Around here it would be about 60 also. I get $4.00 per thousand SQ FT

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That price is high for my area also, unless it is cut up in a few areas or on a bad hill side or something, that is about 1/3 acre and 33 bux sounds good to me but like I say I havent seen the property

8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yes I must say if I was gettin 60 bucks for 1/3 acer I would be retiring next year. I bid my jobs at 1 per min and i'm usally 65 an acer. I live in an upper middle class area of new jersey and that is a fair rate in my opinion.
    <b>Am I a lowballing scrub? If so please let me know</B>

9. packerbacker

If thats the going rate i dont think your a scrub.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Really? Because according to this other post of yours, you're only shooting for $38 per acre.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88842