1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another one of my stupid mower ?'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Dec 3, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I dont think I have EVER seen a thread on the issue of why we can't have some kind of indicator on our Z's for how much gas is left in each tank...just yesterday because I was running the vac attachment it was working harder...and being the dumb yo yo I can be, I ran the thing out of gas farrrrr away from the trailer...yes I do try to remember how many hours the mower has been run after I fill the tanks...but honestly I have more things on my mind some days than how much fuel is left...yes if I filled them each morning it would not be an issue....but thats just not going to happen every single day....you'll probably tell me thats just the way it has to be....but if the mfr can put cup holders, tool boxes and other marginal gizmos and gadgets on our $10,000 mowers, why not some kind of fuel indicator??? anyone else ever wonder about this?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can have an indicator. You just need to have a Dixie Chopper.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yes Richard....but there is only ONE Dixie Chopper above the Mason Dixon line...at least thats all I've ever seen!...lol
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well then, what don't you buy one and make it two. You would have the competitive advantage then.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good one richard!:p

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

He deals with lots of slopes. Everytime he got on it he would slip down below the Mason-Dixon line again. :D :D :D :D

Couldn't resist.:cool:
  7. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Are we still fighting the war of Northern Aggression?
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie's DO have the cap gauges, but they are far from an actual indication of whats left in the tanks. They don't go all the way to the bottom.

You'll have to step up to the $15K JD Front Runners to get REAL fuel gauges. I loved the one on my F series'. It was a nice detailed cushioned gauge with a simple switch to monitor either tank. They had REAL automotive sending units and I never had a problem with them. They would show down to about a 1/2 gallon. You could watch the gauge wiggle if you rocked the tractor.

I'd even be willing to pay extra for one!

Good post!

P.S. There are quite a few DC's north of the border. I'd say they are more of a midwest mower than a southern mower.
  9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah thats gotta suck when your way far away from the trailer. And i would agree with you 100%, if you buy a $10,000 lawn mower you would expect a fuel gauge.
    I like my Turf Tiger, it has a gas gauge on it, one big tank so no messin around with switchin, i think i would get lost after awhile of keeping track of hours on when to refuel and such, fuel gauge is the way to go. Somehow make something that will keep track of it, now that would be something.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Must be all that money you're making and thinking about that made you forget and run out of fuel...LOL.

Remember what I told you???