another one of those how long do you think it'll take threads

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by smcunningham, Aug 5, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

How long do guys think it will take to install 1,055' of three rail split fence with 2"x4" rubberized wire (doggy wire)....The terrian is all fairly level, its all accessable by truck and trailer. I'll be using a skid steer w/ auger for all the
    holes. There will be four of us,Two with experience installing three rail split fence and two laborers with no fence exp but hard workers and fast learners.
    I know my material costs....just trying to get a good feel for how many days
    this should take...
    I've aready taken down the old privacy fence which was 1,000'.
    Customer wants new fence 55' longer and three feet in from old fence line. The woods has grown up to the old fence and began to push it over. I've talked the owner into making the new fence 6' in from old fence so I can take my Z on the other side, instead of all that extra trimming

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

You have previous experience.........so how big of a fence did you put in and how long did it take you. Then its just simple math. Sounds like additional things being added to this job vs your previous experience and perhaps another day is needed just for those things.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I would consider renting a post driver instead of digging all those holes. I dont know exactly what you are referring to with split rails and doggy wire, how are you going to attach the wire to the rails? At any rate, drive post and install the split rails, with 4 people and a post driver, one day and maybe another for adding the doggy wire. Digging holes and tamping post add another day.

4. smcunningham

I've fenced in 1/4 and 1/3 acre lots before but nothing this big. Also when I've done other fence jobs using a tow behind two man 5.5 hp auger....takes too long using, never again will i use a tow behind auger. Never used a fence post driver before....sounds more practical then using an auger on a skid steer
    is it hard to get the post to be plumb with a post driver?
    A three rail split fence are like horse fences; post, three rails, post ,three rails, post. The wire will be attached using staples.
    I have a thread on here of a picture of a previos three rail split fence with doggy wire let me see if I can find it.

5. smcunningham

6. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I am not sure you could use a post pounder for that application. Once you get the hang of it you can drive the posts in pretty plumb.

7. smcunningham

Yeah i don't think a pounder will work with the conditions being so dry.