1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

another one of those rookie questions..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutnitclose, May 9, 2004.

1. I went to order a set of blades for my Toro ZTR Thursday.... The guy at the shop told me that I should get a set of Gator blades, and I have had read a lot of conversations about Gator blades so I ordered a set........ Are they really that much better? What makes them so diffrent, and last but not least did I waste my Money?..... They had the regular blades, and 2 types of gators, I ordered the least exspensive gator, because I didn't know that much about them...... Thanx for any info......
  2. Dang someone chip that ice of the cold shoulder LOL
  3. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

type in "Gator" in the search and you'll find days of reading.
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Last time I checked they had the reg. Gators, and the Gator Magnums.

The Gator Magnums produced like 40% more lift?
    (guessing......been along time since I looked at any). Thicker blade, too.

I would have to assume that most would prefer the Gator Magnums. Alot use them mostly for leaves, or when used in a "double blade combination".

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I love my gators, raptors, they have so much vacum i have pick up a water meter lid.
  6. I bought the regular gators....... What is a double blade combo?
  7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I have found Gators to be hit or miss.

They seem to work fine on some machines and not worth a dime on others. Then do a great job with some grass types and horrible on others.

I pass on them and stick with the factory replacements.
  8. Mr. Skynyrd, I think I will put both on there....... Good idea or bad idea?
  9. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I have saw homeowners here buy them for just about every brand of riding lawn tractor made.

Some love them and others will put the factory blades back on after one cutting.

The best advice I can give you is to try them for yourself on your machine. You can always remove them just as easily as you put them on if they do not preform to your wishes.
  10. That's true as you said it cant hurt anything to try them........