another one that needs help naming the business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

im sure most of you know my story. i didnt have a name over the summer so i thought it made sense to call myself
    J.M.(<~my initials) Landscaping.

i thought about it and its kind of generic around here...everyone is "a.b. something" around here..not that there is anything wrong with it...i just want to be different and stick out. plus the name is already taken in my state

i want something catchy so i thought of these too off of the top of my head

The Other Side Lawn Service
    "Where is grass is ALWAYS greener!"
    or
    "The grass is always greener on 'the other side'."

kind of long but the slogan goes well with it

and the other one is

i forgot..but it was something along these lines

In The Jungle Lawn Care
    "We would service the Rain Forest if asked"
    This implies that no matter how bad your yard looks we can help you out

they're both kind of corny..i like the first one better personally..it is something that ppl know and can remember and the slogan is catchy

what do you guys think?

BTW i will be thinking of more so ill just post them up as i think of them. thanks

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: :hammerhead: :nono: :laugh: Back to the drawing board.

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Hi JM
    i'm pretty sure i saw 'the other side...' or something similar recently. It is catchy but not as professional as i would want. If people see the name but not the catch phrase it doesn't come across as clear. I am not trying to rag on your ideas. i've worked on & seen thousands of names & logos as a garment label designer & the best names are usually relatively short, convey something about the company or brand & are memorable by themselves.
    Your current name 'JM landscapes' suggests you offer other landscaping sevices. If that is the case i would not use 'lawn care', i might use 'lawn & landscape'.
    check for availability here if you have not done so.
    https://accessnet.state.nj.us/GatewayWatchNameSearch.asp

jm lawn & landscape is available for instance
    hope this helps
    Glenn

4. Clear-Cut

lol no offense taken..im just testing the water with this...i really think J.M. Lawn and Landscape sounds a lot better than just J.M. Landscaping.

ill check it out thanks

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some things to consider are the flourish and the acting part, for lack of knowing what it's really called... I find the combination works well, but some thought is required, likely something about it will come back to haunt you later, and you'll be glad you actually thought about it and it's not worse lol.

Anyway...
    The flourish is the 'J.M' bit, it sets it apart from everyone else's and here I recommend being generic. Unfortunately, much as catchy might sound like a good idea, boring tends to beat smart here. That is not to say a catchy name here and there hasn't been a great success, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

The acting part is the 'lawn and landscape' bit, which describes what you do.
    Thought (and perhaps research) should be given to this... I decided not to get into landscaping due to it being such a general term, landscaping as a term covers an array of literally thousands of possibilities, it was too general (and too schooled) for me. But some folks thrive in this environment, again this is why I say thought is required.

You're getting'r there, good luck!

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

"The grass is always greener on 'the other side'."

sounds like it's not green on your side---tells me to look elsewhere for service

Jungle---sorry but no connection with quality or manicured lawns.

I feel your name should reflect quality and top service. Not bring up thoughts of junk yards

If you name needs to be thought about to figure what is meant, it will not work, A name should INSTANTLY reflect your message

7. Clear-Cut

lol yea i was just throwing ideas around..im sure u have all been there haha

i agree that professional is better

and thanks for the info topsites

8. Clear-Cut

ok so how does this sound?

i plan on being a LLC next year so which do you think will be better?

J.M. Lawn and Landscape, LLC

or

J.M. Lawncare, LLC

Slogan:
    "Sit back and relax, we'll do all of the dirty work"

9. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i like
    J.M. Lawn and Landscape, LLC
    the best.

10. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

If you stick with Lawn and Landscape, it shows your not limiting yourself as a business only to lawncare, but also marketing landscaping. Someone might want you to spread mulch and plant flowers, but they might mow their own lawn.
    See, dont limit your potential clients by your name, hope this helps.