Another Overdig

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mbella, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

One of our first jobs of the season and we hit the weakest soil I've ever worked in. We are installing three steps and a patio. We began the excavation on Wednesday. Wednesday morning my foreman calls and says, "We have a problem." The soil was extremely weak at the normal excavation. I tell him to go to 4', there is enough money in the job. He hits 4' and calls me. "Mike, we're at 4' and no change." I go out to the job and jump into the hole. My feet sunk about three inches. I grabbed a shovel and dug in. I dug full depth of the shovel, at 4', like butter. we wound up going 9' (under the steps.) Anybody else have an overdig problem already this year?

2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. No overdig problems here in Phoenix this year.....knock-on-wood.

However, we have a line in our contract:

Any excavation needed outside the normal scope of comparable projects will be billed as additional time and materials

has saved my profit a couple of times.

Hope everything works out.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com

3. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

i hope you ment 4" inches not 4' feet

4. mbella

Four Feet......

5. mbella

Rex, we had the money in this one to go 4' (customer changed pavers and had a $400.00 credit) without speaking with the homeowner. However, after 4' and no luck I had to speak with her about the extra charge for time and materials to complete the overdig. I offered her the number of the engineer we work with as well as a phone number for a representative of the block manufacturer in case she wanted a second or third opinion.

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

7. mbella

Five years old

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I feel for ya Mike .. I find it's very uncomfortable asking Customers for more money part way into the project .

9. mbella

Absolutely Kris. I don't like it either. However, I'm not running a charity, so there is no alternative. That's why I explain why I feel it is necessary and offer second and third party verification.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Oh no ..Im not blaming you ...was just sharing my feekings on having to do that.
    I ran into it when we were doing a a patio last season ..... old farmers field at a new place in the country ...must have been at least 2-3' of good topsoil before we hit acceptable sub base.