1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Pressure washer comparison before purchase.....

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by KathysLGC, Feb 21, 2007.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

I'd go with the Northern Tool model, it has a Cat pump on it. I've had a couple of friends that have bought pressure washers with other makes of pumps, and mine is still going strong and they have replaced their units. All I've done to mine is keep the oil changed in the pump and engine. In my opinion, Cat is a great pump....... just my .02
  3. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

What are you wanting to do with the pressure washer? If it for commercial use than look for a belt drive pump, they will last much longer. Also, when cleaning most surfaces gpm is more important then the psi, which means bigger motor = more gpm.
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the northern one. It has a honda engine on it, it is cheap and reliable. But shop around you can find one with greater P.S.I. for less.
  5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Save your money up and buy a hot water pressure washer, Works 100X better than any cold water one. And also get a belt drive one. Check out Landa and Hotsy.
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

The Dewalt has a Honda engine and Cat pump.....

I'd like to get into driveways, patios, walk ways, etc. I'd rather buy a PW that is a little over kill so i don't have to work it at max capacity. Since I'm solo right now i want to be able to get in and out fast but still do a good job.
  7. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I agree that a belt-driven, high-output (4.0 gpm or more) is desirable over a shaft-driven, lower output washer. Do understand that you have to supply said gpm before you can reproduce it. It is rough on pumps to be undernourished. Most homes produce between 3 and 4 gpm. So, be selective. Bigger is not always better.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You can buy a small starter hot water for less the 3k,or a big skid if you are serious about cleaning buy the right machine the first time.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The northern machine is over priced,you can buy a 13 horse,belt driven,general pump a top pump by the way for the same price and a aluminum frame.
  10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

2 questions:
    1. What is the advantage of belt drive over direct coupling? Does it have to do with the drive ratios?
    2. Have you ever put a flow guage on the houses in your area? I have never seen a house with that low of a flow.