1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another psycho!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Today was the second day for mowing. Show up at this house that i have done for 2 years. I drop the gate and make my first lap around. The grass is somewhat tall but not too bad. Then the homeowner comes out. "Aren't you gonna bag this?" I said, "I've never bagged this in two years." "But there's leaves everywhere." I take a look around and there is seriously 5 leaves on the entire property. "It builds up thatch" she says..."just look here." She says she know how her yard does...and I was like...me too! I've mowed it for 2 years. I told her where to look and left! BTW, all i could see was dirt and tall grass. :dizzy:
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely hate it when someone trys to tell me how to do a job. If there is a special request for an end result I will do it, but the actual process of doing simple things...I almost walked away from a leaf job last fall. Home owner and I agreed on the price and end result of the job. Then she proceedes to tell me she would like me to rake (rake, haha...) them into piles and use a tarp to take them over to the bed of the truck loose. I started explaining what I was going to do with my blower and filling up garbage bags, and she said she didn't want it done that way. WTF? I almost got in the truck and left, but I wanted the money so I just did it my way and said screw it. She wasn't even home when I was working, so it didn't really matter.
  3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, being a solo operator, I'd get rid of her and replace her with a higher quality customer - right now.
  4. PLM-1

She told me that she was going to bag it with her Murray and that i can do it next week. Think I'm gonna???:rolleyes: The only downside to this is that she got me 3 other accounts right by hers...hmmmm Here again i'm 21 and look younger...she prolly thought she could walk all over me. What if i was 45? Would she have said anything??? I doubt it. When she gets a bill for a stop fee she'll be pissed :D
  5. PLM-1

Oh and did I add how extremely rude and hateful she was? She was always an extremely nice person. Must not have taken her meds for a while!
  6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Usually when I get a customer like that I give them 2 weeks to find someone else to do it.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

PLM, Im 45 and it makes no difference! a PITA is a PITA and their stripes do not change.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I let customers give me instructions on how they want something done. I pretend to listen intently and then do it the way I want to. You accomplish nothing argueing with a customer. AS long as the end results are what they want....

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

You skipped me last week. I thought you were going too come over and take care of my yard, as i have way too much planting to take care of at this time.

The drive from way cross to apopka fl will do you good, you need a lot of fresh air and travel time.Once you get down here plan on working a lot it has been raining so much. As far as the revos go we are seeing a few people , just wanting to take every thing out of their yards and start over. :waving:
  10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I had an elderly lady that would come out once I finished and was getting the wead eater, to remind me not to miss the bank (which I was fixing to get). She did this EVERY week, so I turned it into a game to run get the weadeater on before she could get out of the house, and get started on the bank. After a few MONTHS of this, she finally left me alone! People are funny, and sometimes to survive, I have to turn it into a game.