Another push mower question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, May 8, 2003.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

A friend of mine does about 10 yards a week (around 6 hours). He has been using a Gold series Lawn Boy. He is starting to have problems with the drive system.

The question I have is what would be his best option for around $500? He has been looking at Toro, Honda and Lawn Boy. I told him that Toro would be my choice. He said he likes the Honda because of the blade set up. He wants to hear from people that have used these mowers and to recommend a model in his price range. He might splurge for a higher price if it will be well worth it.

By the way he really likes his Lawn Boy because it is a 2 cycle. But he hasn't been real happy with the cut.

I know I could search but After I get some replies I will print this thread and give it to him.

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. contra

contra LawnSite Member

i have a lot of experience with these types of mowers. for around 500 you cant get any of the really fast hondas, but they still cut great. i never had any engine problems but the wheels are awful. they wore down so incredibly fast, and even after i replaced them, they fell off! The toros cut great but i would watch out around hills you might get some nasty engine problems if its too steep. I would go with a toro and use a 2 cycle lawn boy around the steep parts

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Big fan of the Honda's here. I was at Home Depot the other day and saw that they came out with a push mower with caster wheels. Could be interesting.

4. Soupy

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

By the way, I know this subject has been beat to death, But I just want something personalized for him that I can print out.

I don't have much use for a push mower, But I told him if I was in the market I would give a close look at the Toro's. I just think his Lawn Boy cuts like ****. Maybe it's because he cuts in third gear.

He looked at a Toro with electric start on sale for $399 at a small home owner type dealer. I told him I would look at a heavy model then a entry level Home owner one.

Any recommendations on Models (all brands) too would be great.

5. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I had a Honda last year - not commercial - with the double blades. I ended up returning it. The mower was great with the bag on but poor cut when just mulching. Purchased a Toro Super Recycler and it is great mulching - have not tried the bag.

6. Soupy

Bump

7. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

I would urge your friend to consider a used 36 walkbehind. after just a few tries he will agree that his productivity goes way up and his lawns look better. I have seen many in local papers for sale and I think that lco buy them and quickly outgrow them. Another point is that even a well used machine can have many years of service left in it. I know its a big step but you will never regret it

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know anything about Lawnboy self propelled (they're for sissies! :eek: ) but have used Lawnboy PUSH MOWERS for quite some time. While their cut isn't the greatest in the world at the 3" setting, you can significantly improve it by bumping up the RPM's. There is a white disk about the size of a quarter. It has notches on it (kinda looks like a gear). This is your govonor setting. A few clicks (cant remember which way :( ) and you will speed up the engine a bit. They run a lot better at this higher RPM, and it really prevents carbon buildup too.

The cut on the Lawnboy is the sole responsibility of that POS blade they use. If I could find a company to make me a blade that has more lift or suction they would be a wonderful cutting machine.

Good Luck

9. Soupy

Turfguy, He has tried my 36" Toro on his properties and prefer to use a push mower. Every once in a whie I will have him help me if I'm in a pinch and then we will knock his little lawns out too. I use my DixeChopper and tell him to use the Toro. After one yard he always wants to just use his Push mower.

Plus he only does this part time and uses a little S-10 pick up.