Another question about the day of the week issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Sep 19, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We have recently consolidated our routes for driving efficiency.

A new client called to sign up for service last Thursday. She got her welcome letter and now she is calling to say she really doesn't want to be on Mondays because the lawn will look like it needs mowing again by the weekend.

In the past, we have never lost clients over this because we have always told them that we handle requests of this nature on a squeaky wheel basis. We would make a note of the request and as soon as a spot opened up in that area, we would accomodate their request. But they needed to send us an e-mail periodically to remind us that Thursday/Friday service was important to them.

A client called today and gave us an ultimatum. Either mow my lawn on Thursday or Friday or I will cancel the service. I told her I would check the maps and schedules and then call her back.

This client is so far away from our Th/Fr service area, there is no way to go out of our way to keep this one. Monday is her ONLY option.

Since she is being unreasonable, I think it is fair to be unreasonable right back. I think it makes sense to call her back and tell her that we will put her on the waiting list and as soon as a spot comes available we will move her to Th/Fr...knowing full well that it is a lie.

I think I will start telling all of these A-Holes who demand Th/Fr service that they are on a waiting list that doesn't exist. That way, I keep their mowing revenues on the schedule longer and can recover some of my advertising costs that I paid to get them.

As far as I'm concerned, a client who insists on Th/Fr service is an ass. Period. Might as well get whatever I can out of them. If they expect the lawn mowing company to work 2 days a week, only 8 months a year, they are high. I can't keep good workers around if I do that. Would you work for an employer who offered that?

Bad decision?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds reasonable to me. you sure have alot of pita's.
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

It is interesting. There was a mowing crew doing a lawn on my street a few weeks ago on Friday. I was driving by in my truck, so I rolled down the window and asked the foreman how many they would cut that day. I think I was talking to the owner. He said 40. There were five of them in the truck.

I am reasonably certain these other guys were day laborors. I see very few crews mowing lawns on Mondays and Tuesdays in my area but by Thursday there is a lawn crew at every intersection.

My question is, how do these guys who rely on day laborors do it? Can you find good, quality help 2 days a week? What do these workers do the rest of the week? How are these workers able to live if they're only getting work 2 days per week?

Additionally, any time I've had to have a new, inexperienced guy out mowing lawns for me, it has always been a complaint-fest. How do these guys who mow lawns 2 days per week, with temporary laborors, keep their clients happy?

I mean, I know that mowing lawns isn't rocket science, but it is amazing how many complaints a new guy can generate. If I've got a new guy working for me, rest assured, I'm hearing complaints.

DFW Area Landscaper

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There's a day labor site in my fact a bunch of these guys lived on my street back then. You'd be surprised...15 in a house, each guy paying maybe $100-$200 in rent, no real bills to speak of...they get by on a couple days work. Not sure if that's the life they came over here for but that's what a lot of them end up with.
  5. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

If she wants to be mowed on friday tell her it will cost more money
  6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I would have riase her price from $25/cut to $50/cut in order to justify the extra drive time.

DFW Area Landscaper
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Mon & Tues are my heavy days .... Thurs & Fri guys will be back at the shop by 2-3pm

You sure like too beat this "day of a week" issue to death's a NO Brainer .... it's no issue ....

You want it cut on Thurs but we are in your area on Monday .... GOOD LUCK .... God Bless .... Have a Great Day .... but I still only cut in your are on MONDAY

$5-10 extra fore that day ....P L E A S E ....can ya Wash the car too
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would try explaining your route set-up and explain to her that there is just no way possible for a thursday or friday cut to take place. If she is still uptight about it, you'll have to drop her.

Or tell her about the price increase for an end of the week cut and she what she says. I can understand her reasoning for wanting it done then but I can also understand your reasoning behind it. Good Luck!
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just another reason to get out of the residential market.

However, since you're into it heavy, here goes.

$50 won't cover it. If it's that far away (more than 15 miles), your drivetime alone for the person would eat up the extra $50, plus you're not able to cut anything else.

It would have to be a $60-75 / cut charge.

Explain the effects of the route, gas, drive time there AND back since you don't have anything else, and see what she says.

Can't hurt, you're going to lose the account anyways.
  10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++Can't hurt, you're going to lose the account anyways.++++

That's why I lean towards just stringing her along with a little white lie. "Yes, ma'am, we should be able to get you moved to Th/Fr in just a few more weeks. We just have to wait for someone else to cancel and then we will move your mow day."

I say, if the client is gonna act like an ass, why shouldn't I? If I tell her the truth, she's gone immediately.

DFW Area Landscaper