another question for the moderators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, before i get banned, i have a question. you know i've said it before, that i think teaching others how to operate the same business that you are operating, is like digging your own grave. of course, like everything else i say, everyone disagreed with me. i wondered if electricians, plumbers, mechanics, and so on share techniques and business strategies with others in thier field. i wonder if the kernel shared his secret recipe with roy rogers, and now i wonder this: recently there was another site similar to this one that opened up, i was invited but chose to remain faithful to lawnsite. i've also been told that other sites similar to this exsist. now my question. do the owners of lawnsite help, give guidence, show every step of the way to the owners of these other sites? is your mentality the same when "it hits home", or are things different? i know you said "you enjoy competition", but do you educate your competition? do u show them every single step, from starting day #1, and then answer any question they may have as they go along? i'm just curious. and kind of trying to make a point. if it's none of my business, just say so. but everyone was so quick to jump on me when i said we were only hurting ourselves by sharing too much info.

2. GREAT QUESTION

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

bobby....why would someone be banned for asking a question like this?

The truth is, yes, owners of these sites do offer up help to oneanother. In fact, there are forums specifically designed for forum owners to speak to oneanother, exchange ideas, etc...

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

sean, i'm gonna miss you. yea i think i saw you guys the other night helping each other

5. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

My step-dad is a plumbing business owner.... he always used to say there were more plumbers in Belton than you could shake a stick at.... Every day he would eat lunch at the same place and sit around a big table filled with his 'competition'.... On the occasion I was working with him I was hating the fact that I was sitting there being choked out by a thick fog of smoke, and praying I could get the poop smell out of my skin so I could get back to chasing tale as soon as possible.... so, I never paid attention to their conversations, etc.. but, I'm sure they could not resist talking about business..... since, their entire lives revolved around their company.

6. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

bobbygedd.... this is mostly a case of 'ethics'

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

You're gonna miss him? Who's going somewhere?

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

you guys are great. that's what i like, guys who can answer any question, and fast. i was given the same gift.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

that was an interesting point and i am glad it was brought up. it is very much related to the help which we give here day in and day out...just on a much higher level.

10. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, we all know what is bothering you. Now, before you get banned and we are all pissed off---go on vacation for a few days and relax without the computer because it is hard watching a beloved friend walk in front of a barreling train. STOP, please. Don't get banned, you are an important member here. Please.