1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another question from mower design team at NC State

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jamie, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Jamie

Jamie LawnSite Member

Hi again, folks!

Thank you for the constructive comments regarding deck suspension on our last question--it's obvious you folks like floating decks!!

Speaking of decks...it's apparent to us that getting through the typical 36" gate limits the deck width of the "backyard" mowers, other than the fold-up deck type (unless we've missed something else!). We're looking at a couple of innovative ideas that may allow a larger deck, for example a 46-50" through a 36" gate without you getting off the mower. Our question is this...would you be willing to pay, say $2-300 extra for this feature vs. a typical Mid-Z price?

Thanks again for your time. Now that we're back from Spring Break (yeah!) the questions will probably be coming hot and heavy!

Jamie and the rest of the Stately Solutions team
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The biggest problem I can see is the narrow wheel base you need to get a 50" mower through a 36" gate. It would almost need to be an outfront mower that would raise up and flip to do this.

Dixie Chopper has a ZTR mower that has a 42" deck that you can get through a 36" gate, but you do have to get off the mower to achieve this. That narrow of a wheel base limits the width of the seat due to the narrower frame.

I'm sure a lot of guys would be interested in a 50" rider that you could go through a 36" gate with out getting off. I know I would take a look at one.
  3. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

$200-$300 would not even be an issue for something like that.Less than 1/2 season payback easily.
    Just be sure it is tough enough for the rigors of travel,operations, bumps and bangs.
  4. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

the cost would not be a problem however I would have concerns about the cut quality. those hinged decks don't seem to cut as nice