another question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bulls_mowing, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

what is the highest potential profit you can make in the lawn mowing industry and how do you go from small business to large business

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Unlimited if run correctly

Years of Hard, Smart work and planning.

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

This industry, as with everything in life, holds no boundaries. Going from big to small is not something you can do overnight. It's something that happens. Slowly you'll get another truck, another mower, another trailer. You'll get more and more clients. You'll realize (hopefully not that hard way) you need to pay taxes and get insurance. Advertise as much as possible in every possible way. Keep your clients in the right perspective - you're the boss, what you say GOES. But they are also PAYING YOU (not the other guy) to provide a service and they except consistent quality and overall - reliablity.

Keep your clients happy and you'll grow, slowly but surely.

4. Bulls_mowing

thanks for the info
    so tell me something guys has anyone ever employed some one to do a yard in a diferent location while you are mowing somewhere else

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Of course that's the only way you will grow......I have crews working all over the state on some days.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Of course, I don't have employee's but I subcontract work and take a percentage.

7. Bulls_mowing

how do you subcontract work this sought of thing isnt real popular in australia alot of people just work by them selves and do roughly 8 lawns a day where as im interested in employing people and giving jobs around the place. So what does subcontracting envolve

8. Bulls_mowing

and also i just would like to know what is the diference between subcontracting and franchising

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well just about everything in this country from construction, transportation, building, etc. involves subcontracting. Say you bid on a job in another town and get it. You find a good contractor in that town and he does the work and you get paid. You pay him an amount agreed on which is less than the bid. Or as in my case I don't do bushhogging (tractor work) but have someone do it for me. I often get jobs that I don't specialize in but have trusted contractors that do, so I get the job and they do the work at a percentage of the bid. I keep the rest. Not a good description but its the best I can do right now.

This is much different than being a large LCO with several crews working for him on a per hour wage which is how most large LCO's work in this country. Feel free to correct me anyone. I'm not an expert by any means.

10. Bulls_mowing

I read a little bit of information about subcontracting. Im not trying to question everybody's intelegence . I just wanted to ask is it true that subcontractors can do there own bidding when it comes to lawns and stuff and if so what happens when you sign someone to sub contract for you and they like to play low ball with there bidding and stuff. What would you do in that situation.

Also is it true that they can turn down jobs when ever they feel like it. So say for example i win a bid and i was planing on giving that bid to my sub contracter what would i do if they turned the job down.