Another QUICK36 question regarding hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Dec 13, 2006.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've searched and read tons of info. However, I need a little more specific information and reassurance.

I am looking at purchasing a Samurai 36" with KAW motor. I have a few accounts that this mower would be used for the steeper areas, and a couple of accounts that I would use this solely instead of my MINI-Z.

I have one yard in particular that I had to finish the season using my 21". The back yard is steep (25-30 degrees), rarely gets sun (always wet and slick), and has a chain link fence at the bottom of it. Twice this year I slid into the fence (no damage to fence, mower, or me), just some rattled nerves. I also have another yard which I use the 21" that is at least 35 degrees, if not more. Neither of these lawns would be prudent to go up and down the hill. I WANT AND NEED to go sideways ACROSS the hills. I'm short, but not a small guy. I can muster up some muscle...just don't wanna get aggravated at the mower having to fight it constantly.

I figure if I want to stay in this business and provide quality service, and safe for me...I need to invest in a hydro WB. I've been VERY impressed with all the comments about these mowers...and have nearly made up my mind that this is the route I want to take.

BUT, I just don't want to make this investment and find out it won't work for me or is more effort that fighting the 21". I'm looking for something that provides a great cut (I know the Q36 does), will work on these hills, etc.

PLEASE...any comments or ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any PICTURES of you using your Q36 on hills showing the slope would be great.

THANKS!!

2. FIRESCOOBY

Anyone? I know many questions have been asked, but need a little more information and reassurance.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what kind of time frame you're looking at but I'm supposed to be at Better in the morning around 11:30 to pick up my new Samurai. I have one account with some pretty nasty hillsides as well. They're so steep, I worry about oil flow more than I worry about slipping. I'll let you know what I find out.:)

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Sam and like it very much. When I have a steep hill I find it best to start at say, the bottom right and end up on the top left.

When you go sideways, like right to left, you will walk lower than the mower and really use the left arm muscles because the front end will want to drop downhill.

5. FIRESCOOBY

Thanks for the replies!!

lawnspecialties: Keep me updated. I'm not gonna buy till early spring.

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck with the Samurai ...you will love it !! I want to see the Better plant...take a camera and let us know how it goes.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Well, all went great today. The Better plant is exactly 150 miles from my driveway.

First off, let me say I am by no means someone who gives praise when it isn't due. I'm 40 years old and work solo 99% of the time. I do excellent work and I expect my equipment to perform as hard as I do.

That being said, everything the lawnsite members here have been saying about Gary and the Better crew is right on the money. They are a class act and I would recommend them to anyone. Their facility is clean as a pin and as soon as I walked in, there was my Samurai ready to go. It took about 30 minutes for Gary and I to go over the machine (I've never owned a walk-behind before) and just shoot the bull. We talked about the machine and the business, loaded it up in the truck, I went in and paid the bill, and then I was headin' back home. I still got home in time to install the striping roller and cut my own yard before it got dark.

I'll let you guys know how it goes after a week or so; but so far, this machine is about as easy as a 300 lb. mower could be to operate. Turning is a breeze, controls are easy and precise, and it mows perfectly. Three 12" blades with 16hp cut about as perfectly as anything could. I'm working the fire station tommorrow but my first three stops Saturday morning are all 5,000 sq. ft. yards that are the type of accounts I bought this unit for in the first place.:)

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This could not be more true for a single hydro machine, it will take a lot of muscle on a steep hill to go across the hill. It takes a lot on minor hills. Those demos of turning on a flat surface looks nice but in the real world grass situations it is different. I would much rather have a belt driving machine like Scag 32" for hilly properties.

9. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used "single hydro" Ferris and ended up getting rid of it because I could not climb a 23 degree hill. I now have a dual hydro bobcat and it will climb up/down/sidways all day long. Of course if it's wet then anything will slide.

My problem with the single drive was that when it slipped that only one wheel would spin. I also think that you will have issues turning on the hill mowing sideways. Having independent control of each wheel is always going to give you more control on a hill. Doesn't matter what the price is....if you can't mow the yard...you haven't saved a dime.

10. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Some of our LCOs have had good luck with Fluid Filled tires. We had a walk behind Snapper 48" HYDRO that needed just a little more traction on steep hills. Had the local tire store put tubes in the wheels and calcium fill the tires(could use water but they might freeze if outside opr unprotected in the winter). This added about 25 lbs to each tire and made a huge difference.

Weight was right at the point of traction and lowered the center of gravity on the unit. I don't know how well this would work in your situation but it might be an option.

My $0.02