Another reason why safety is important

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Sep 13, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Sad indeed. We must always be on the lookout for the unexpected. My prayers are with the family and the mower operator. I couldn't imagine being in either the family or the operators shoes.

3. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Sad indeed, but it makes me ANGRY as hell. We have a two-year old and would never let her walk around in the yard when mowing. He was mowing the lawn, where the hell was Momma?

4. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

Exactly my thoughts. And if momma was not home, he should not have been cutting the grass without someone to watch the toddler.

5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Toddler Killed In Lawn Mower Accident
    Prosecutors Won't Bring Charges

POSTED: 7:35 am EDT September 13, 2004
    UPDATED: 3:14 pm EDT September 13, 2004

BARNSTABLE, Mass. -- Authorities on Cape Cod released new details Monday about a lawn mower accident that killed a 2-year-old boy at his home in the Centerville section of Barnstable.

Police said Liam O'Neil was killed Sunday when his father backed over him with a riding lawn mower. Police said Kevin O'Neil thought his son was in another part of the family's property when he backed up the lawn mower.

Sgt. Sean Sweeney said the lawn mower had a large grass collection bin attached to the back which would have made it difficult for the father to see the boy, even if he had looked.

The toddler was pronounced dead at the scene on Strawberry Hill Road in the Centerville section of Barnstable.

A spokesman for the Cape and Islands District Attorney's Office said no charges will be filed in the case. Investigators said it was a tragic accident.

6. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Its easy for us to sit back and judge the mother and father because of this accident, but none of us were there to know how it really happened. I can remember not so long ago when my neighbor brought my then-2yr old son home because he found him standing in the street :eek: I was in the garage and my wife was in the house - we both thought the other one was watching him... If you are a parent, odds are something like this has happened (kid got away from you). All it takes is a phone call or a quick distraction and they will be gone!

For those of you who want to tar-and-feather the parents, just note that there is nothing you can say or do to punish them more than they are punishing themselves. I'm not sure if the mower operator was the father or not, but I do know that you would have to shoot me before I shot myself!

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

A little kid north of here got his foot cut off a couple of weeks ago by his father. The father was running a large walk behind and the child came up behind him to ask if he could go to a friend's house to play. The father backed over him and cut off his foot.