another rookie ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chris25, Nov 20, 2004.

1. chris25

chris25 LawnSite Member

Hey guys im new at this siste and i been reading through threads and has been alot of help with pricing and such. Well one question here goes; this past year i picked up a few lawn accounts for some old folks in the neighbor hood and soem of the houses i have been using there equipment wich was nice cause all i currently have is a push mower. well the question is i want to puchase a new mower for the next up comming season and im undecided if i should go and spend the money and buy me a walkbehind or just like a snapper self propel. Im just doing redidential currently and don't neeed anything huge probaly a 32inch would be nice in the walkbehind but i have been pricing them and there up to like $2500.00 for a decent walkbehind compared to 500 for a regular mower. so anyway i would like some advice for the mower purchace what do you guys think i should do spend the money or start out small? ty for all replys
  2. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Welcome, and ya gotta spend money to make money. Get a 36"
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You buy machinery based on your needs, not because you want it. What size properties? Will a larger machine same you time? or be too bulky for your needs? Can you afford new at this time? or is used the better way to go. Don't go and overspend, always have your equipment work for you. Never work for your equipment. :)
  4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

How big are the houses or how long do it take you?

I would buy a used wb around 800.00 until I needed something else in stead of 2500.00.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Spend the money and you will be so glad that you did. You will be able to cut so much faster. I would also go with the 36". Shop around, you'll find a good deal.
  6. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

yeah, don't work for your equipment.......get it for free. :p
  7. chris25

chris25 LawnSite Member

I think u guys are hitting the spot of one of my personal arguments the big thing for me is time. Money not too bad but a concern the thing is im doing this for some extra cash and maybe a side business i work for one of the big 3 so time on getting the lawns done is a facter and that dang sears push mower needs to go in the trash heeh. ty guys :)
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is a great post. Too many times LCO's will go out and buy lots of equipment and all that equipment does is sit there. Sure its nice to have a back up, but 2 to 3 backups, that is just stupid. A lot of times too guys think that if they have a lot of equipment on the trailer it will make them look more important and special for some reason
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Theres another side to the theory that I strongly believe in. If your serious about the business, then buy the equipment that you want to use whether you have the work or not. Example if you spend $2500 for a bed edger that you never needed your sure as h.ell gonna go find the work to pay for it. It may not be easy to find, but you will get it because the alternative is a loss of your capital. It works for pretty much all purchases but only if you are serious about wanting to be in the biz and make it grow.

10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Im with you "oldertandirt" :rolleyes: You have got to get the right mowers for the work. I do give him credit to start out with a push mower, but if he gets a good WB or a ZTR, than he wood really do some work and will have alot of fun doing it. And make more money payup