Another RSVP Publications thread...

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Summerscapes, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Summerscapes

Summerscapes LawnSite Member

RSVP Publications have been mentioned in a handful of other threads...I just want to get some points summarized in one location as I go through my decision making process.

I have a meeting set up with my local rep and want everyone's input before I sit down with him.

RSVP Publications http://www.rsvppublications.com/
    1) They allow one contractor per industry.
    2) They send out a deck of cards to more or less high-end homes
    3) They send these decks out to 50k homes above $XXXk
    4) He quoted me $0.0x per home
    5) This quote is per mailing correct?

What other questions should I pose?

Thanks

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We use them for the decks and our other mailings. Yes, they send it out to 50,000 homes from the most expensive on down to whenever the 50,000 ends. The quote that they gave you should be all inclusive (ie. making of the cards, the list and postage) for a one time mailing of whichever area you choose. Sometimes you can get a better deal if you commit to another mailing or 2 throughout the year.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. It's probably the best bang for the buck when it comes down to quantity. We just sent out 30,000 6X9 cards that they made for us and it was a whole lot more money than the deck. We've gotten mixed results with the deck, but everytime we used it we see some positive results from it....just never anything real consistant.

3. M&N Maintenance

M&N Maintenance LawnSite Member

They do not committ to one type of vendor per mailing. We used them for holiday decorating and when we did our first mailer in sept of 07 we were the only ones. The next mailer we were in for oct 07 there were three other competitors. We have good and bad feelings about rsvp.

4. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm, I know it said in our contract with them that only one contractor/advertiser per catagory. Was it maybe a couple of different types of companies from yours that does Holiday lighting as a part of their services, and not just holiday lighting? I guess this is where it gets tricky....you could have a landscape lighting guy advertising on there and he does Holiday lighting....a hardscapes guy who also does Holiday Lighting, and a Landscape guy who does Holiday lighting. I guess technically they are 3 different catagories of companies who happen to offer a same service around the Holidays. Dunno...I guess this could happen?:confused:

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Another cool item: rsvp has a list they will forward you of people who checked off an interest in your biz. I just got mine today with an additional 7 people who had not called me directly.

I'm also looking forward to round two and then three, when they say people tend to respond the most. We'll see.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I was told they allow 2 contractor or "like" businesses at a time.

7. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

what several card decks here do is charge you more to be exclusive. I was quoted one price with no more than 3 competitors and another for exclusivity.
    I believe here the difference was about $500 a mailing. It may be different depending on how big the deck is, the bigger the deck the more they might charge for exclusivity.

8. M&N Maintenance

M&N Maintenance LawnSite Member

The other advertisers were strictly holiday lighting. What it did do for me was to validate my service.

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

In each city/area, the RSVP dealerships are franchises. Therefore, each franchise can do whatever they want. I used to do business with them until I had a HUGE falling out because of the "exclusivity" crap. They signed on another lighting only company while I was still advertising with them, and offered to lower my rate to compensate me for it. NO THANKS! I guess their coverage amount has to do with the population because they were sending 100,000 cards to my market. I now use City Publications, which is basically the same thing. I've had much better service with them.
    If you need any more info, just let me know.

10. MarkOlex

MarkOlex LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have found that the RSVP decks do not work well in my area. However, the individual post cards they produce (6x9) do very well.

I would like to know about success you all have had with internet leads. My marketing guy is pushing me to do this.