1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another sad story.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TriPLandscaping, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TriPLandscaping

TriPLandscaping LawnSite Member

2. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Though chains are more of a PITA than ropes or cables they rarely cause any problem when breaking if used for pulling.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

ropes and nylon straps are horrible for this type of stuff since they stretch....

gotta use chain or even cable since it stretches less than rope. but chain is the safest way to go...
  4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

sorry for this family's loss. this illustrates the need to think safety. never, ever, stand anywhere that a snapped rope can hit you. i don't know if any of you have ever tried a choker cable, but they are great for pulling shrubs and also bundling limbs so that they can be dragged. the are available from agriculture/foresty suppliers. they are cheap ($10-15 for a 6 ft 3/4"), easy to use (they can be hooked/unhooked from the clevis of a chain quickly and will cinch down on loads by themselves) and they won't break (have pulled many loads of tree's with 110hp 4wd tractor through the woods and have never broken one)
  5. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm confused. How did the snapping rope sever his arm? How did it also hit him in the ribs and chest? I mean I could see a snapping rope causing some major damage to someone, but enough to sever an arm and hit him in three different spots?? It doesn't sound like he was just standing back watching.
  6. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Another tip when using chains, ropes, or straps is to cover the chains/ropes with a blanket or better yet a canvas tarp. That way if it should snap the cover stops the recoil instantly. I never pull out anything without using this technique.
  7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I use PVC pipe around the chain.
  8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Many people have been killed by nylon rope breaks and even the heavy duty nylon towing straps. If you are anywhere inside the length of that rope when tension is on it you are in danger of becoming a victim. A friend was struck in the head and died instantly.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i wonder if he was trying to a clean/jerk with the truck and the driver nailed the gas, rather than easing into it...Its a big issue on large boats when lines get put under extreme tension and then they fail...They will clear a deck....

10. IndustrialGreen

IndustrialGreen LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

If the rope broke under several tons of load, thats nearly how much energy was in the rope when it hit him. Several thousand pounds of flying menace is easily enough to kill a person. Seems weird just looking at a rope or strap, but if you do the physics, that how it works.

Throwing a heavy blanket or tarp over the rope will help to absorb and disperse the energy if it breaks, but this technique is inherently dangerous under any circumstances, if you put yourself in the wrong place, and the rope or strap breaks. Chain is safest, because it doesn't load energy like a rope or strap. but I still wouldn't want to be near if something let go.