1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another Scag Tiger Cub Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duffman301, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I see. I keep everything at home in my garage/shop.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

By the way you need to jack it up and run the unit...meaning you have to activate the pumps so sit on seat and run both forward and reverse.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct, the Tiger Cub hydraulic reservoir with filter holds 2 1/2 qts. Raise the back of the mower high enough off the ground for the wheels to clear, sit on the mower and move the steering levers forward enough for the wheels to turn and it will bleed the air out of your system. You have no problem believe me, but you will need more oil. Scag says you can let it run idle for 5 min. and the air will work itself out but it is faster for the wheels to turn.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. pfisdon

pfisdon LawnSite Member

Why would you change the hydro oil anyway? All you need to do is change the filter once a season and top off the oil lost due to removing the filter. Up to the hole inside the metal sleeve inside the neck of the hydro tank.

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

Do you just change the filter on your truck and leave the dirty oil in it? I didn't think so. The hydro oil gets dirty too. Why do you think it uses a filter?

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

April Fool!

7. duffman301

duffman301 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I just ran it for a few minutes and everything was fine

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not a dealer !! Thats a rapists!!!! Makes me thankful for my dealer. He has the best Kool-Aid making machine I have ever seen. :)

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

ummm, Kool-Aid. :D

10. pfisdon

pfisdon LawnSite Member

The oil in a hydro unit is a closed environment , it does not suck in air and dust like the engine does. Unless you are putting your pumps to extreme conditions like steep hills , high temperatures or general hard abuse ,the hydro oil does not need to be changed as often. Unless you just like to waste good oil and money for no reason.