Another Scotts question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Sweep, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I heard a few years ago that Scotts commercial fertilizer division was bought out by The Andersons. Scott's markets the fact that they 'exclusively use Scotts products' I was just curious if they use Anderson's? Or, do they go to Home Depot & buy their fertilizer? Yeah, I know, thats ridiculous but what do they use?

Rob

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

They do not use the same stuff that is sold to homeowners. They use the same types of granular ferts as the rest of the industry. It maybe formulated and bagged to their specs but it is the same.

3. youcantdothat

youcantdothat LawnSite Member

Rob..Scotts LawnService uses only Scotts FERTILIZERS manufactured by The Scotts Company, available only to Scotts LawnService.

PHILK..Do your homework, that statement is not true.

4. CCLAWN

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

actually it is poly s coated ferts. for most of the US, 33-0-0 w/ pendimethilin at 2lb n rd1.....trimec 992 with not enough dimension to piss out rd 2. 36-3-7 50% slow release rd 3+4 and 32-3-6 field fert 100% fast release rd 5+6. Pound that N with no roots. No wonder deep green up in spring, but can you guess the excuses on the first week of 90 degree weather in the summer....ethics? to the origional qoute, 3.65/1000 + 25stop
    aerate 14.50/1000 grub 2x app price and combo of all with complete program 5.4/1000 + 25stop x 8...but no property in measured anywhere close to the same. call it barefoot re-treads or chemlawn part 2:alien:

5. philk17088

youcantdothat,

It ain't the Scott's fertilizer that is sold retail!

I've friends that work there and I 've seen it put down on lawns!
    THET DO NOT USE "TURFBUILDER" STEPS 1-4
    I have done my homework.
    :gunsfirin

6. philk17088

Oh by the way. Anderson's now sells the "ultra secret "Scott's Lawn service spreader. They didn't even change the color of the darn thing.:p

7. CCLAWN

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

LOL:dizzy: Looks like someone else knows most of the secrets

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The branch here uses fertilizer in a LESCO bag.

9. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Did Andersons buy part of Scotts, or was it the other way around? I thought I had heard that Scott's bought the Andersons.

Scotts has certainly stirred some things up. My cousin owns a True Valu store and handles Scotts products. After spending a hefty sum to participate in their direct mail program to sell the do it yourself program, he obviously wasn't real happy to have bascially the same mailing list get a mailer for Scotts lawn service. Of course, when his customer ask about a custom service, he reccomends a different one. Guess who that is?

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoops Scotts here uses Howard's Fertilizer.