1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

another serious question about transplanting bushes

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JCA1, Jun 21, 2006.

1. JCA1

JCA1 LawnSite Member

I've transplanted several shrubs now some are 11 days old now and looking good. My question is this: how long do I need to water them? In other words, right now I'm putting 5 gallons of water on each one every evening, when should I slow this down to every other evening or more? I noticed tonight that the soil around the shrubs atill appeared to have some moisture in it but it's in the 90's every day lately. I don't want to over water them so....any help?
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Its in the 90's (are they in full sun?)? Over-watering transplanted shrubs? Good luck!

The reason that they are looking so good after 11 days is the water. You have kept them (what ever they are) from going into shock. A little bone meal, B-1 etc. also goes along way in helping to establish newly transplanted materials.

I transplanted some Rhodys last year; they were moved to a western exposure, they were watered every day for a complete season. They look great.

I suggest you keep their 'feet' moist until cooler temps (fall). If 5 gallons is what it takes, then 5 gallons it is.
  3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

those are sure to die from wet feet at that rate
    If they are sitting in water they can't take it in they will die from lack of oxygen and drying out,

Stop the water
  4. JCA1

JCA1 LawnSite Member

Ok now I'm confused. I put 5 gallons on them about 8:00p.m. every evening, this saturates them very well with water standing for maybe a minute. I have soil mounded around the root balls to hold the water around the plants. The shrubs are not left standing in water as the soil is sandy but after a full day of 90 plus the soil still showed signs of moisture around the shrubs on the surface. This made me wonder if I needed to slow down or reduce the amount of water I put on them at the time. I have mixed root hormone with the water twice for each plant, once at planting and again seven days later. I know they can't dry out but I don't want to drown them either. I have a tendency to go with jameson at this point...any others?
  5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Sandy soil, roots/feet moist (not sitting in a puddle of water) after 90 deg day...you are on the right track.

Sounds like some amendments would have been (and still can be) beneficial to improve the quality of soil.

Stop watering as Coffee suggested and you'll see the results.

BTW, what was transplanted?
  6. JCA1

JCA1 LawnSite Member

I transplanted youpon hollies, needlepoint hollies, and compacta hollies, some type of juniper, some dwarf nandinas, and two "azaleas"(spelling). When you say I'm on the right track what do you mean exactly? Keep going as I am or cut back a little bit? I'm sure this is not a question you can answer 100% without actually seeing the soil/shrubs but you're doing great.