1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Silly Stripping Question ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, Jun 11, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

When you stripe your lawns do you just cut the lawn & what ever strip is laid down after the cut , thats it your done or do you cut the lawns THEN stop the blades lower the deck some more ( with blades off ) & then start your stripping patterns with your stripper if you have one ??

Today I cut then re-did the yard with the blades off with the deck set at 3" instead of the 4 1/2 cut height I had when cuttting & man the stripe job was awesome.

Just curious on your lawn stripping techniques, if I had to guess you pro's probably just cut & stripe simultaneously right.

Thanx ...
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I've done some weird stuff I shall say but I dont know about mowing and then driving over the grass again with the blades off....my ztr leaves a pretty nice stripe on the first pass without a striper. I do double cut alot this year though due to the amount of rain we've been getting but the second cut definately has the blades on.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

its striping.

Stripping is taking your clothes off
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Im an old athletic turf/golf course guy, I studied/mentored under David R. Mellor, he wrote a book called picture perfect, its ALL about striping. Look for it on amazon.com
  5. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

Great book I own it.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you really think we'd waste that much extra time to get stripes?

You need to do it in one pass. There are tons of threads on striping (not stripping) kits on here. Just do a search and you'll find multiple do-it-yourself kits that are very cheap...
  7. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

you're gonna be way better off, and more efficient with just either buying a striper or making a homemade one. it'll save you some $ on gas too

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i do it as i mow
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen so many new threads with stripping:):)
    Too many naked lawn guys on here for me anymore:dizzy:

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I just reread this thread and couldn't help but laugh. Maybe this was a joke???