1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another sod installation question...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 2006Silverado, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

I know this has been asked several times. But reading previous posts just made me more confused :hammerhead:

Will be my first sod installation. Customer has about 5000 sq. ft. area to cover. Right now it's just bare or has old pine straw down. The area is fairly level, not great, but not bad enough I think I can level it fairly well w/o any majore equipment.
    It's Bermuda. Best price I've gotten so far is $95 per pallet. I'm planning on covering about 500 sq. ft. per pallet.

I have pricing from 2 landscaping companies in the area charge. One is $275/per pallet, the other charges $.55/sq. ft if prep, everything is done...$.45/sq. ft if only installing it.

My costs will be, renting a tiller, I have a landscape rake, roundup if that ends up being the best route to put that down first though I don't think there is enough green that it would be needed. So basically just the tiller and getting rid of whatever ends up being raked out. And topsoil, (would it be needed???) Also delivery cost for the sod ($50) or me picking it up myself.
    One man installing, I've everything from about 1,000/sq ft. per day-2,500 sq ft. per day.

I was thinking about charging customer $.40-.45/sq ft. I thought this was reasonable, but after reading other threads on here it looks like I'm way under???
    Am I on mark? Of course I want to make money, but it is my first, it's a customer I do favors for, so if I'm coming out at least $30-35/hr then I would be fine with that.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

My son and I did about 1000sq ft. of sod in one day with some last minute prepping as we went. Price the prep separate from the laying down. Doing 5000k would be best done over at least 2 days maybe 3 if there are difficulties. 1000k was enough for me. Don't bring in more than you can lay in one day.
    If you are going to till it may be a good idea to roll it then rough up the surface with a rake or something for the roots. Reason being - walking over soft dirt with a roll of sod really makes a mess of your bed and it will never be right.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

10 to 12 man hours for laying the sod and I would guess a couple hours in prep.
  4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm doing about 450 sq ft in 2 areas (one 100sq ft, other 350 sq ft) for $450. Reason price is so high though is cause its a townhome with only back lane access with 36" gate to work area. Also, full prep with removal of rocks and debris is req'd.
  5. Lawnworks

from usa

Your price is more than fair... I have charged $630 for 450 sq ft. Small patch jobs can be a real pain.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I had a lady call me today, she and her husband have prepped the area and spread topsoil......supposed to be 100% ready to lay two pallets 1200 SF.

They had the sod delivered today. My only expense is labor. I normally wouldn't touch the job because it has "Hi, I'm CHEAP" all over it but they are in a bind and its close to my jobsite that I will be finishing up on tomorrow. Calling her in the morning and telling her $500 to do the job, I supply nothing but labor and no prep. Should take about an hour.

If she blows a fuse, I don't care but she's got sod cut yesterday in need of going down. Or they are free to do it themselves.

Point being, don't look at what you are charging for the job, look at the net. Is it worth it in the end. Will I work an hour for $500, tip my guy $75 for the heck of it and tell him have a good weekend......sure. Will I work late on a Saturday, fight more traffic and take a loss on my part because they want me to, no.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

sod though........I've charged anywhere from $.80-$2+ per SF..........on average I would say $1. Sod is a cash cow.
  8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

What part of Ga are you in?

I have some sod farms I use that will save you some money.

I do those for anywhere from 200 too 250 per plallet.

No topsoil needed.

I usually do not roundup the area except for certain circumstances.

Me and 2 guys it is a one day job.

I have around 850 in materials,500 dollars in labor and at 2500 dollars it will leave around 1100 dollars for me after fuel.
  9. Lawnworks

from usa

I take it you don't do large sod jobs... I can't imagine anyone paying $10,000 for 20 pallets of sod.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

10-12 man hours for prep., soil amendments, grading, and installation of 5000 sq. ft. of sod???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: