Another sod Thread

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by slimart01, Mar 1, 2007.

1. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Our local landscape supply retailer says that each pallet is approx. 500 sq ft. Each square is about 18 inches by 24 in. that is a square yard, correct?

My main question is, what is a good rate for installing sod? 135 is my cost per pallet (500 sq ft) The home owners just moved in and the landscapers never finished laying sod in the backyard, so there is no prep work needed, and only simple edging will be needed. I will be doing the work by myself and the pallets will be placed close to where the sod will be installed.

Time is not of importance to me at this point, just my reputation (accurate estimates,cust. satisfaction, and future references)

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

wow! 135 a pallot? is it st. aug or bermuda? i get mine for 90 for bermuda, and 110 for st. augustine.

3. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

centipede, im in sc, might make a diff.

4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

i guess so...well if i pay 90 a pallot i charge 150/pallot if no prep, and 200/pallot if prep. thats a pretty good average.

5. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Installed, or just your price for material?

7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe LawnSite Member

$0.55/sq. ft. will cover your costs, be fair to the customer, and make you some cash too. But by yourself will be tough. One more man to stay on the ground dragging pieces and placing them, and you just throw him the rolls. No up-and-down wasted time for you, and it saves the back.

8. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That is expensive for sod. I go with 450' per pallet and with no prep work and pallets placed I would say you should be able to lay a pallet an hour by yourself. If you lay a pallet an hour then just figure how much you want to make an hour. I would go for about 50 per hour so my price would be around 185 per pallet, installed, no prep work, using your price of 135 per pallet for the sod. When you called around for sod prices did you try to find someone who would sell you sod at wholesale prices or are you paying the same price a homeowner would pay? Find someone who will sell to you at wholesale, they are out there. Find who the other landscapers use for sod.

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

thats installed