1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Soliciting question on flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sym, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I had a couple putting out flyers in neighborhoods...your typical cookie cutter type places....of course there is a no soliciting sign at the front of the subdivision.

I got a nasty call from a resident about the no soliciting sign and that he was going to contact the HOA etc.... then he went on about "tresspassing". were they?

I haven't called the guy back yet..should I?

2. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If there was a notice that you couldn't be on that property for that purpose and you were anyway then yes...you were trespassing.

But, who cares if he calls the home owner's association. What are they going to do. If they had called the cops while you were there, the cops would have likely ignored it. If they did send someone out he would have told you that you can't do that here and asked you to leave. That's okay you were going to leave as soon as you were done anyway.

And why would you even consider calling the guy back? Wait a minute, maybe you should. A great chance to practice your sales skills. See if you can talk him into a contract...a 5 year contract.
  3. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

If you are in the rights spirits, call him back, apoligize, and move on. No big deal. My guys do it all the time.....call them back.
  4. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

I checked on this before because alot of homes have these no soliciting signs on the doors, and my Village Hall told me thats it's only "Soliciting" if you knock on the door and talk to the homeowners, they said if all you do is tape a flyer to the door its not a problem.
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

bingo i have called a lot of people and got the same answer!! the only subs i dont leave them in is this one that has a sign that says "no leaf-letting" i dont know if thats a word but thats what it say. the sub has a awesome entrance way but when you get in its a fricken dump, little tash homes with no landscaping. people think if they have a gate on the sub then its ohhh sooo nice!!! then you look at the roads and see its only base asphalt and pot holes every where, base ball field looks like crap, stop signs falling apart and the homes are the same three design over and over. a few get mowed but they are nothing special.
  6. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

Being from Florida I know what you are saying about the cookie cutters. I do a lot around the subdivisions on the golf courses here. I also dropped off fliers and got the nasty calls. I eventually gave up and advertised in the newspaper. I've been getting contracts signed like crazy from the newspaper ads. I would suggest just investing in that if you already haven't. One pissed off neighbor will keep you out of that neighborhood for good. Trust me. The retired folks here gossip. And all their friends listen.

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

Same applys here, leave the door hanger and go to the next house, as soon as you knock thats when its illegal, if the customer comes out and talks to you your all set now you just gotta seal the deal:usflag:
  8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd call the @hole, I mean, upset gentleman and explain to him that 'soliciting' is ...
    physically knocking on doors and trying to sell something. Pestering, bothering, annoying homeowners....

You were simply 'advertising' :laugh:
  9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be pissed if someone stuck tape of any kind on my door. And I'm IN the biz.
    No, baggies with seed, or sand thrown on my driveway either. That's just ghetto.

Doorhangers and postcards. That's it. :rolleyes:
  10. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree...tape and driveway bags are so ghetto looking