1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Southern Magnolia question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Jul 7, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Maybe you guys down south can answer another one of my S Mag. questions. THis plant isn't supposed to do well in zone 6 but mine is healthy with lots of new growth after being hammered this winter. But every year we get only 6 blooms or so on a tree thats 20 ft high and 5 ft wide. Somewhere I read that any type of fertilizing will ****** bloom development. That contradicts most schools of thought on using ferts higher in phosphorous for big and numerous blooms on most annulals and flowering shrubs/trees. I think it needs a good shot of Hollytone later this year and in early spring of next year......any advice?? thanks
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

At least in Oregon, those never need any fertilizer for flowers, nor for any reason really (unless they are chlorotic or something).

Personally, I only fertilize to boost plants beyond kid and dog damage.

Other than that, results are great without fertilizing.

If you want to see my view on it, there is a prewritten advice topic on fertilizing at www.mdvaden.com

I think its on our Landscape Advice after clicking ADVICE at the home page.

Maybe in our tree advice the "schpeel" is given too. But at least once somewhere.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks much MD...didn;t think I'd get any responses on this one...I'll check out the link you provided.