Another St Aug. question!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jds720, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

My accounts are in Venice, Fl. Ive been mowing them at 4in, should i mow shorter?? maybe around 3.5in?

2. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

i would thats long

3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow at 3.5. That's the recommended height for St. Augustine.

4. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

sometimes you can't mow at 3.5 my lawn and 5 others I mow at 4 I have one I mow at 4.5 be careful do a test in a area in the corner that is hard to see or something

5. Mikol

Mikol LawnSite Member

I mow my accounts at 4"to5".it seems to me that my customers are happy they have not complained.

6. jds720

it looks good at 4, 3.5 looks good too, almost looks scalped though.

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get away with mowing Palmetto that short during the off season, but classic St Aug and Floratam tend be anywhere between 4 and 5.5 during the growing season.

8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

After doing some research I found that I am actually mowing at 3 7/8 inches. Sorry for the confusion.

9. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

jds720, as the yards are really starting to grow, now is a good time to experiment with the height. just start in the back yard away from the house. if at 3.5 it looks to short raise it back up. every yard is different. same with the mowers. ive had st augustine yards that looked really good at 2.75'' others would look scalped at 5''. up until 2 weeks ago i was using a hustler mini z cutting st augustine at 3.5''-4.25''. now i have a walker mt w/42'' and have cut all but 2 lawns at 3'' with no scalping, but im gonna try those 2 at 3'' this week. the general rule would be 3.5''-4''. but alot is trial and error. try it shorter, it'll grow back.

10. jds720

Thanks! just dont wanna kill the grass at a +500k dollar house, im too new for that!