1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another stupid Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Allens LawnCare, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Can you put an eletric start on a 36inch Metro, has anyone done this, how hard is it, any ideas on pricing
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

it can be done, but i don't think it'd really be cost effective. you'd have to have the starter, the igntion switch assembly, a wiring harness, a battery mounted somewhere (more than likely on that metal area above the trans) and possibly a different engine shroud.
  3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to be mean but.... Stop being a little girl and pull a cord or two! lol

Ok I'm messing with ya. I assume it has a 15hp.. Right? I would go to www.kawpower.com and see if they offer an option for it. If not... Doubt it.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

if it's like my metro, it's a 15hp but mine is a kohler.
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

With a thread title like that, I have to read it, but anyways....

Like stated above, not cost effective. Yes it could be done, but it would probly be around$150-$200.00 to do it. And, it complicates the machine so there is more to go wrong and brake.
  6. Allens LawnCare

Kohler command 14hp....and I started this as a side gig, now legit, and working towards leaving the darkside and enjoying work again, I enjoy Lawn Care work....Love the smell of mulch, Freshly cut grass, and making money for myself.....hate that one day cold start. rather turn a key if possible, I plan on keeping this machine for a while bought it off a home owner, its a 99 with 140hrs on it....stole it for $800 not to mention its in mint condition!!!
  7. MikeLT1Z28

not sure it if will help but the correct method for starting a kohler is to pull the starter slowly once till the compression release kicks in, then let it retract and pull it firmly (don't snatch the cord). if it was a home owner machine it may have a little gum in the carb. i know mine is 5 years old and it still starts easily for me.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We looked at getting a starter for an 18khp on a WB and it was just too darm much....close to $400. If you can do all the work yourself you can probably reduce it some but a lot depends on whether your engine is starter ready. Post in the repair section with model an Rob will probably help you.
  9. Allens LawnCare

I had a surging problem half way through the season this year, local dealer rebuilt the carb....started great for a month, then I was told two things, first was there is a piece in the carb that can't be cleaned they hoped they fixed the problem buy rebuilding it. Next step was a new carb. Also with the alcohol content in new gas now a days, there is a piece in the carb that swells and caused the float to stick.....either way, I'm having a new carb ordered monday......I'll go from there!!
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just a little info....

Starter 130.00
    Flywheel 154.00
    Stator 70.00
    Regulator 44.00
    And still need to purchase or build a wire harness.

If you didn't mind re-charging the battery over night every couple days you could go just the starter and flywheel and use a Snapper part# 12623 starter button.