another stupid sulky question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Apr 28, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

A friend ask me yesterday why a fixed-type sulky w/ castering wheels would not work with a belt drive.

Sorry to admit, but my mind went blank.

2. metro-hp_48

from TN

No ideas? So a fixed type will work on a hydro and/or belt?

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

well..i will do my best to answer.

its ironic, this weekend i saw the exact same thing happening. their was a man on a 48" scag belt drive walkbehind. it was a pretty small front yard, and granted he was running a dethatcher as well as a bagger. It seemed that he was hopping off more than he was riding it.

It didnt look like it had enough power to swing the fixed unit around on turns (teh guy wasnt big either) I think the reason they are not recomended is because the belt drive does not have enough power to swing the fixed arm unit on turns.

correct me if i am wrong.

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

The man that ask me is setting here, and that was his only guess.

(I told him it couldn't be, since it takes less power to drive a belt drive that a hydro......[we like to argue] he he he)

Belt slippage might have somthing to do with it? Just never really thought about it before. Always heard trailing/belt and fixed/hydro.

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

Seems if a fiixed would work on either, that no one would buy a trailing type. (or that the Bull Rider wouldn't be made to be fixed or trail.......if they go to the trouble to design it to convert, there must be a reason 1 won't work on both..........don't know)

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Either will work. However, the trailing type taking less power to turn and follows the mower, keeping the sulky away from hitting things as you turn. The fixed mode is to take full advantage of mowing backwards, and true zeroturning, which only a hydro can do.
    Simply, the trailing mode is best for a belt drive and the fixed mode is best (if you know how to use it) for a hydro.
    DP

7. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have both to use with my Scag 36" Belt. I have a single wheel and a caster wheel. The caster wheeled one ways 3 times as much as the single wheel but requires less effort from me to turn around. Also my wb doesn't have enough power (13hp) to pull the caster wheel and me (180 lbs) up a steep hill. I only use the single wheel on hills.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i personally like the caster fixed sulky better. with a trailering one, backing up is a pain and your bouncing and feet are turning every 2 seconds.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The trailing type actually helps a belt drive turn. My belt drive was much easier to turn with the jungle wheels on than when walking. It took much less squeeze on the lever. with the sulky you only have to loosen the tension on the belt and the weight on the training sulky pulls back on the inside wheel for you. When walking it takes some pressure on the inside brake to make the turn. With the castoring type it takes a lot of pressure on the inside brake to get the sulky to swing way around.