Another suggestion???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YukonG, May 6, 2007.

1. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks now. There is a vast amount of knowledge here. It has been quite enjoyable reading through all the posts. Thanks for a great forum!!!

The company I worked for shut down. (There is another 2000 jobs for the foreign manufacturers.) I am going back to college. I will be in college for about 5 years. I will be mowing yards part-time to make ends meet while I go to school. My father used to have a lawn mowing business while he was going back to college. And I used to mow full time for my father, so I'm not really new to mowing. I also used to maintain a 120 acre horse ranch. It was owned my millionaires that wanted an immaculate lawn and landscaping; so I have good experience there also.

Anyway, right now I need a decent walk behind to get me through until I receive a severance settlement from my company. When I get the settlement, I will be buying a commercial walk behind. But I need something to get me through until then. Whatever I buy right now will become my backup to my commercial mower. Right now I mow 4 yards per week, including my own. I plan on getting a couple more. But that's about all I can handle with the heavy college load I'm taking. Most of my yards are 1/4-5/8 acres.

I have a Lowe's charge card, so I really need to try to get a mower from there. I'm not real excited about any of the mowers from there; but it looks like these are my 2 choices.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96497-270-12AV835Q711&lpage=none
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=212464-573-BG20430&lpage=none

Which one would you guys suggest?
    Thanks.

2. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

I don't care for the lever that engages the drive on the Troy-Bilt. I feel like it would wear my hand out pretty quick trying to maintain speed.

The deck of the JD looks very similar to the Snapper Hi-Vac deck. And the bag is exactly like the newer Snapper bag with a gate.

Please give me your suggestions.
    Thanks.

3. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

Well, against bitter opposition, I bought the John Deere JS20. It looks to me like a little bit better built mower. And I didn't like the single lever height adjustment on the Troy-Bilt.

I will get a chance to use my new mower in the next day or two. I will let you guys know what I think about it.[​IMG]