Another technique for stuck blade bolts

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by derbydon, Jun 14, 2008.

1. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

The other day my guys told me I needed to sharpen the blades on one Zturn. So when I go to pull the blades the discharge side blade looks like a hockey stick...yeah, at least they noticed it was cutting bad!

My AC impact wrench only goes 150 ft/lb torque so no hope there. I'd bent the long 1" openend wrench normally used on the spindle last bent blade, so I was down to either taking it to the mower shop and looking like a rookie or finding a way to break it out with a shorter 1" wrench I had....Problem was I couldn't lock in the 1" wrench on the spindle while I applied force with the breaker bar/cheater bar on the bolt (I was a tanker in the Army and our motto was "When in doubt, get a bigger hammer").

Solution: I took one of the 3 foot chains used to anchor my recovery winch; placed the hook on one end of the openend wrench on the spindle, wrapped the other end of the chain several times around a front-of-deck scalp wheel bracket and then padlocked it with one of the trimmer locks.

NOW I was ready to "use the Force" on the cheater bar without worrying about the backing wrench slipping. Worked perfectly!

I hope this helps someone when one of those new operators mangles a blade. (oh, btw, one of my customers is a steel coil plant, and I can't tell you how many pieces of miscellaneous metal truck drivers have tossed in the lawn that I have narrowly missed mowing over; so I can't really fault my operators - except for not telling me about it)

Final odd comment for the day: How much paved road or driveway do truckers need around warehouses?..........Two feet more, always two feet more!

:usflag:

2. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

This is good info thanks.

3. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

No problem...be sure to let me know when you figure out how to install a new z-turn operator computer chip so they actually avoid bending blades in the first place.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

wow,good idea.a friend of mine wa a tanker and he could fix an Abrams or a used weed eater.

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i just grind the head off once the blade falls off you can turn them out by hand

6. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info derbydon!
    sawman65 thats how I do it 99% of the time, you can also take a metal punch and drive out the lock/washer from under the bolts head, then it should come out.
    seems to me that the grinder works the best on problem blade bolts ...just be sure to be wearing safety glasses as the head of the bolt pops/flies off.

Mike