Another to buy or not.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husker1982, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

My buddie has a 2001 emark with a 60" deck, it is EFI, and has 520 hrs on it. He told me to make an offer. What would something like this go for?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'd bid it at anywhere from $4800- $5500 depending on the body and what shape it is in.

3. Husker1982

Wow that is it?? I was thinking like 6500 to 7000. It has been well maintained and also has a side bagger and 4 SETS of blades with it. He paid 9,800 for it new.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind that when buying used equipment, even if you are buying from your buddy, never factor in what it cost new. If that's the case then buy a new one. Anything that is bought new will depreciate after leaving the dealer.

5. Husker1982

ff you always factor new. that is the reason for used purchased.
    You said
    . What would be the case? New 9,800, or Used 7,000 tops. Almost 3,000 in savings. Yes everything depreciates but what does it depreciate from (The new price).

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Check on eBay or the Exmark site-they hve used equipment there. These might help guide you to a fairmarket price. Also machinefinder.com.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

At 520 hours, I consider those mowers more than half gone. He's your buddy, and maybe he maintained them to the max, but you have to assume he didn't. he'd probably get 3000-4000 max on the trade in on a new mower. probably less. at an auction, they wouldn't bring more than 3500. Sorry, If I was bidding on them, and I knew they were loved on, I'd still only give 3500 tops. If you end up running it more than 1000 hours, that is gravy for you . think of it this way. at 3500, if you run them 500 hours, that is $7 per hour machine depreciation. that is not too bad. if you pay 7000, you are at $14 per hour your cost when the meter hits 1000 hours. that is too high. if you bought it new (9800)and ran it to 1000 hours, you'd only be at 9.80 per hour. still alot less than you propose to pay.

put another way, the 2800 he stands to "lose" on the sale cost him only 2800/520=$5.38 per hour. Quite lower than average. you'd have to run this machine, at $7000, another 1300 hours to get that rate. at 1800 hours, I don't think the exmark will make it without problems.

Daveg

8. Husker1982

David I am not trying to be a mean guy (for the censors). But I know for a fact that that mower with EFI will get atleast 1500 hrs. With good maintanance it can go easy 2500 hrs. The carburated motors can get 1500 to 2000 with good maintanance. Sorry but your info on the unit is wrong. I do have to say that the calculations you have are an okay way of looking at it, but there are too many variables to use it for the mowers with higher hours.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You don't want that mower. I heard that in 2001 Toyota owned eXmark. haha. Just kidding.

1/2 mower gone on an efi is not true. You should get many hours from that mower. If its been maintained then you should not have any major problems. Any mower is only worth what your willing to give for it. If your happy with $7k then that is what its worth to you. If I wanted that mower and was really considering it I would be around $6-$7k for it. Hopefully closer to $6k.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think 520 hours is nowhere near half of the mower's life, though it will start having some problems eventually.

I have an slightly underpowered HP 18hp Lazer (assumedly it has to work harder to keep up, and so should wear out faster than an EFI) that is still running strong w/ no problems at 1052 hours. It's in better than average condition probably, since I use it myself, but I've been offered $3200 for it, and this was a $6000 unit new. So, it's at about 50% of original "real world" price after 4 years of use.

I did get another unit today (21kawi 48" HP) because with interest rates so low, the cost of keeping the old one as a spare or 2nd mower isn't that high ( 4% cost of funds x $3000 = $120/year) and I can afford downtime on a 2nd unit. But I didn't replace it because it was worn out, by any means.

I would guess that there are a lot of people out there, maybe someone just starting out or needing a larger mower for select properties, who can't afford $9000 for a new unit but could swing $5,500 . Worst case, if it only lasts another 1000 hours, you could still replace the pricey EFI engine with a still-useful 25 or 27hp Kohler unit and some of the pumps/motors that fail (what, maybe $3500 for all?) and get another 1500 hours out of it by your estimations of life span.. So you'd have put 2500 hours on a used unit for the same investment you put only 1500 in on a new one. You'd also save on interest since you have less invested at any one time. And you still have salvage value.