Another Tough Decision...HELP!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ky-lawn-guy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I have a tough decision similar to the previous posts about taking a job or continueing my lawn service. I currently run my own company with approx 60 accounts that are smaller lots that average about $25-28 per cut. I am in my last year of college and will graduate in MAY (right when i get the busiest!!). A friend of mine has approached me with a job opportunity in the same business. A local owner of a horse stud farm here in Kentucky has recently started a Lawn/landscape/maintenance company that does other local farms, businesses and residentials. The jobs: $35k base salary, two weeks paid vacation, insurance and benefits, cell phone, commission on any of my clients that i bring with me. I will basically still be running a crew of 2-4 people. He has given me the opportunity to let me basically pick my vehicle for the job, pick my own equipment and employees. This opportunity sounds good but my only concern is that i will grow and increase in salary as the company grows...What should I do...keep my current accounts and try to grow or to take the job????

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Only you can make that decision, because you know what your goals in life are and what risk your willing to take. Hope it all works out.

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^ I agree. Only you can make that decision. If it was me and I was just getting out of college I would probably take the job. It pays well, there is room to grow, you have other people around that you can learn from and the risk is off your back. Once you feel you are ready and have even more education under your belt then you can start your own company back.

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking the risk was in taking the job! LOL:laugh:

5. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

Well I am 24 now and have been doing this since i was 16 and I already have at least 60+ clients. In the past I have only done the lawn maintenance because I just dont have the time to do anything else with school...although they have all been begging me to expand more toward mulching, landscaping, whole nine yards. My biggest problem is that i want to get more commercial accounts when i get out and also the fact that i really dont have the land or facility to store tons of equipment. If i take the jobs i will basically be running the entire crew but someone else will be taking care of the marketing end of the deal as well as equipment and insurance and so on. I like the work but i just hate the marketing end!