Another tralier option

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jh88, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

I know i just posted and told everyone what i have for equipment but i plan on doing this as a long term thing. I have recently picked a couple more larger customers. this spring i plan on really looking for buissness since i will be getting my drivers liscence. But i was wondering what everyone thought of buying a flatbed utility truck instead of a trailer. Not the normal flatbed like on a regular truck but u know the larger foreign made trucks that have the long flat beds. I saw one the other day and it looked pretty nice. They had two lazers on it and they fit nicely with a little room to spare and they had trimmer racks on one side and gas cans and tools on the other. It looked like they had fabricated a endgate on it. I know i don't need it now but in two or three years would it be something to look for. Just wondering if anyone does this or has seen it. I think its a really good idea.

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's good idea but believe me if you buy it' you'll be giving yourself 100's of reason to own a trailer also, those trucks have their niche, lot's of pros, I personally think it's a good thing to add when you have multiple crews.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends they have their pros and cons, If the truck breaks your screwed if a truck breaks and you have a trailer then you can get a rental and switch the trailer over. I just got my 1st truck 3 days ago and my trailer 2 weeks ago, I really enjoy the setup but, it's personal preference.

Email me or pm me if you want to talk more.

4. Starting out, if you got one of those little Cab-Overs you could also get a trailer later. I looked into them, because I couldnÂ’t find a single advantage a Conventional-Cab flatbed had over a Cab-Over. Great visibility (especially for snow plowing), maximum room on the bed, very small turning radius, etc, etc. Pretty popular truck, but the only ones I could find on the used market were under-powered, rode hard and put up wet. New one's are out of the question for me. Payments on something that big could be a back breaker.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

INS on ANYTHING you get will be high, but if you get that then you really will have a problem. My 89 mazda b-2600i is $1300 for 6 mos INS and that's CHEAPEST I could find, but get that and have probally a 4k every 6 mos.