Another truck advice thread

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 93Chevy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Went to test drive this truck today...AWESOME. Good price and low miles. Recent injector/turbo work. Engine, tranny, brakes, and steering all felt really good on the road.

http://choiceautosalesonline.com/ne...ne/2003-Ford-F250SD-Murrysville-PA-15668.aspx

I mean, I know want the truck and I'm basically looking for positive feedback, but any concerns you might have?

My mechanic buddy came with me and was very impressed and urged me to snag it because of the low miles.

2. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

That is a good deal. I would jump on it. what was it used for before? always run the car fax.

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't touch a 2003 6.0 unless it already had the expensive and numerous mods required to make it reliable. I know 5 or 6 guys with that motor and 1 has been trouble free for 150,000 miles and the others have been money pits. How lucky do you feel?

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

It's had injectors replaced and the turbo recirculation pipe (or whatever it is) replaced within the last 1000 miles by a very reputable Pittsburgh diesel tech shop.

Plus it's only got 67k, so I wouldn't be at 150k for another 5 years or so.

5. dz302

dz302 LawnSite Member

A 6.)o , your making a big mistake. I friend bought one brand new and talk about a nightmare. Run , don't walk away.

6. dz302

dz302 LawnSite Member

A 6.0 Ford !!! Your making a huge mistake. A close friend bought one brand new and talk about a nightmare, he quickly found out he was far from alone . Run , don't walk away.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of engine mods should I look at? EGR delete and tuner are in the works....possibly...if everything works out.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a die hard Ford man and there's no way I'd buy that peace of junk. No diesel with that many miles should have to have injector work. (except the good 'ol 6.0L) I would wait on the new 6.7L too. Don't buy the Duramax either. (Isuzu junk) If it were me I would buy a Cummins with a NV4500 trans. I would prefer to buy the Ford, put a 6bt Cummins in it with an Allison transmission. <- this truck would be bullet proof. It wouldn't be that big a deal to do, but I love working on cars.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

10. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member