1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

another TRUCK question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by texas, Feb 22, 2006.

what do you buy?

1. gas 4x2

3 vote(s)
  2. gas 4x4

11 vote(s)
  3. diesel 4x2

1 vote(s)
  4. diesel 4x4

15 vote(s)
  1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

how often do you buy a new truck? is it NEW or used? how much do you spend?

2. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

Diesel 4x4 all the way. I buy as often as I need to, and price varies.. I wouldn't own a truck without 4x4, especially living in New England.
  3. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Used. I let someone else eat the depreciation. 2-3yrs old 60-90 thousand miles. A well maintained diesel is not even broken in yet. That is unless it is a 6.0. Still many useful years of service at half the price.
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I only buy used, diesel 4x4, which is what I plan to buy. probably a lightly used 06 F350 6.0 4x4 with a 6spd in it.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I buy a truck when I feel there is a need for it be it a 4x2 Dump or a 4x4 P/u
    I would like to buy a Diesel, but I always end up buying a gas job.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Lease every 4 years, trucks tired at that point and leasing has its tax advantages. I like'em under warranty because I plow.
  7. Magnum Services

Magnum Services LawnSite Member

Diesel 4x4 is the only way to go.Buy used and let someone else recieve the sticker shock.I would like to buy new and order a truck my way but can't afford to yet.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I leased a used 04.5 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4x4 last year with 6500 miles. If I bought the truck, it would have been $33,100. So no sticker shock for me!!!

When my lease is up I might lease again or buy this one, it depends on my current situation and future plans. That Mega Cab looks pretty sweet and there is also going to be a 6.7 Cummins and 6-speed auto tranny for 2007, so by 2008 when my lease is up, that might be the direction I go.
  9. jd6323

jd6323 LawnSite Member

I was lucky enough to have a $20,000 budget for my first truck. I wanted a Z71 and my price range was going to allow me to get an 02 or so at the time. But, with the Chevy rebates I was able to get a brand new 2wd crew cab for just a little more than an older Z71 would have costed. I didn't mind getting a 2wd because I had plans to do stuff like put rims on it which I did but now I really regret not getting a 4x4...not becuase I need one but I enjoy doing a little offroading and it's pathetic how often I stick mine.
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member