1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another truck question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Does anybody have a 26k or larger truck running a Cummins 5.9 with a manual trans.? I am having a hard time believing that that motor will pull a loaded dump truck or a heavily loaded trailer. I run them in my pickups and think they're great, but I've had a bad history of not buying enough power the first time?

Also, does anybody know anything or have any experience with Royal Truck Equipment?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

The 5.9 cummins was originally designed as a 600hp motor. Many commercial applications for that engine before dodge begged them to de-tune the daylights out of it and put it in their pick-ups.
  3. jd4310

jd4310 LawnSite Member

I have a Freightliner FL70 gvw 26,000 with the 5.9 in it. It has a 16ft dump bed on it. Truck weight is about 12,500 lb. The 5.9 is a great little motor, when I originally found out this was the same motor in dodge trucks I suddenly realized that it wasn't dodges fault with all the trans. problems it was the fact that they had one hell of a motor in a 1 ton truck. The motor does great in my fl70 when it is loaded or unloaded. When you put an empty 6,000 lb trailer behind it you can tell its back there and when I put my 10,000 lb 277B on the trailer you really know its back there. It has a 6 speed manual in it. If I had to do it over again I would probably find a truck with a larger motor in it, due to me pulling a trailer. I have had several diesel mechanics tell me to stay away from the next size up cummins motor. I can't remember the model # or the reason to stay away from it, but they all said I was better off with this motor or the 3rd size up. I will say that hills in 6th gear are my worst problem. 5th does a little better but by then I am running 40 - 45mph when everyone else is running 60+mph.