1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Turf Mag gem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got my Turf mag today. In the editors notes, David Cassidy proclaimed his editorial on the liberal media bias "right".

I just thought it was amusing to see something that was a topic of such heated debate brought up for a second issue in a row.

I have more than a sneaking suspition that Mr. Cassidy read the thread about his article here on Lawn Site. And I find it a little hard to believe there was no mention of the several posters here who disagreed with his opinion.

Since a thread from LawnSite is always used in Turf Magazine. Maybe the thread where Mr. Cassidys article was a topic of such debate should be used, to show the differences in opinion on the article, as opposed to just proclaiming himself"right".

I enjoy my subscription to Turf, and plan on being a continued reader. I also respect Mr. Cassidys opinion, and his right to post his opinions in his magazine.

However when someone writes that their opinion is true or "right", as opposed to just stating their opinion. That is exactly what leads to a media bias one way or the other.

At any rate, since in this issues article, Mr. Cassidy said no one wrote in and disagreed with him, or called him a right wing nut. Allow me to be the first. I disagree and Mr. Cassidy is a right wing nut. However I truly do mean that in the nicest possible way. :D After all my difference of opinion keeps me reading Mr. Cassidys articles. And keeping people reading is the important thing.

Anyway what are all of your thoughts on the follow up article in the editors notes?
  2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I was just looking at the last Landscaper's Magazine issue I had...Interesting articles on "Riding Mowers"..."Trimmers and Edgers" and "Software Support."

It was the Jan/February issue of "PRO" Magazine...1989

I wonder...have they changed much? :)
  3. Lawn Dog2001

I decided to email Turf. Here is the copy of the email.

Dear Mr. Cassidy,

I just finished reading your "I Must Be Right" article in Turf Magazine. In the article you state that you recieved a lot of email, and that all of it was positive. Well if this is the case, then allow me to be the first to be negative. And since no one called you a right wing nut, allow me to be the first to do that also :].

Very recently there was a thread on LawnSite.com where the topic of your article came up. I have a feeling you have read it, but in case you did not here is the link http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=75153

I post there as Lawn Dog2001. I think you will find that there were many contrasting views about your editorial, and not everyone thought your views were as right as you did.

My main issue with the editorial was this. It seems to me that your editorial was definately leaning to the right. If you are going to right an editorial about a liberal media bias, but at the same time be biased yourself to the right, it contradicts the whole point of your article. I also think that your article caused some good back and forth, and intelligent conversation between lawn care professionals. I really think it would be great if you would consider using that thread , in the next edition of IN Your Own Words. Since that thread was directly related to Turf Mag it would be a great thread to use. I think it would more acurately show the difference in views that your editorial sparked.

Also I would really enjoy reading an article (unbiased if posiible) about the economy, and more inportantly, how the economy effects lawn care professionals. I think that would be a great read.

At any rate, I have only been a subscriber for three issues now. I love the magazine and the great work that you do there at Turf. Please take my critisism as constructive, as it is truely meant to be that way.

Thank you for your time,
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Being from NC I for one like the idea of John Edwards being Kerry's VP pick. Now maybe he'll actually do something, because he didn't do squat representing NC for 6 years in the Senate except run for President which he failed at. Now he can yell "I want be # 2!" Nothing but a sliver tongued lawyer who tells people what they want to hear and they believe him. The real reason he ran for Prez and not his Senate seat again was he knew he didn't have a prayer of winning reelection in NC and was bound as a 1 Termer....and I'm a registered democratic saying that.:D
  5. Lawn Dog2001

I just wanted to say that David Cassidy actually took the time to email me back with a detailed reply.

I still disagree with his take on things. But he is a very nice, stand up guy to take time to take time out of a busy schedule to reply to my mail.

I appreciated that.
  6. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

Can you post his reply?

Branching Out......
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ya, I want to hear his reply.
  8. Lawn Dog2001

I am going to PM Jodi and ask if it is OK to do that. Im not sure if posting someones email in a public forum without there permision is a no no. If she says its cool I will post it.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hi Lawndog, I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I think it would be better if you could just e-mail him back, tell him the situation and how people would like to read his response, and ask him if it's ok with his permission to post it.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Or better yet, invite him to join in the discussion here.