another turf renovation question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 16, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

here I go with another one of my goofy questions...guy has about a 3000 ft back yard...2 large trees with roots at the surface all over the yard. He wants me to bring in as many truckloads of top soil to raise yard by 6 inches to cover the roots, seed then roll it. Part sun and shaded area. Obviously the grading must stay with the lay of the land to prevent any drainage problms...I'm not sure his concept will work...and I have never done this over big tree root areas...told him I would check with my 'turf gurus'(you guys) and get some opinions...I suggested planting beds but he said the roots are everywhere...going out to see it Saturday....maybe concrete is the best soution...tee hee...thanks for your 2 cents

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

would appreciate a comment or 2 on this...I dont want to do this job but I'd like a couple of you to tell me why this wont work...I'm not sure if it will or wont

3. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

I'll give it a shot...

I don't see why it won't work, but a few things come to mind.

If too much topsoil ( like 12" ) is added, the grade change will no doubt have some effect on the trees.

Trees may need to be elevated to allow for sunlight if your gonna plant grass.

Let's not lose sight of the trees from focusing on the yard; IE-make sure they are not overmature or in a state of decline and requiring removal.

I like your idea best if it is possible, but you can always mention that this is HIS idea and there are no gaurantees.

Hope That helps a little.

Good Luck, Bud.

4. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Not something I have done before, but I think it is common to add some soil to cover tree roots. Sweet Gums and Silver Maples are notorious for large surface roots. Probably you want to stick with 2 or 3 inches or just whatever it would take to cover the roots. 6 inches will probably work out to be a lot of truckloads of dirt. You don't want to pile too much dirt around the base of the trunks, but a few inches probably shouldn't hurt. You may want to ask about this in the landscaping forum as well. Also I would think it would be ideal to mix the topsoil with some compost if it is available. And if you do have some topsoil trucked in, you may want to go and have a look at it rather than just calling in an order. Topsoil will vary from day to day, week to week, supplier to supplier. They get it where they can, when that runs out, they get it somewhere else. Sometimes people sell some pretty bad dirt as topsoil. Of course if you put in beds, you still have to add some soil to deal with the roots.