Another upset homeowner due to --Ride-on

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, May 24, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Today I signed up another customer that was very unhappy with the previous company due to the poor quality of weed control resulting from a ride-on sprayer

I own a PG Magnum and use the machine alot, however due to windy conditions, sensative plants and a number of other factors I still own and use a 300 galon tank/hose setup that gets great results.

In the last 3 years we have signed up 50 accounts because the prior company had poorly trained, or lazy techs who would either get too close to plants and kill them or they stayed 5 feet away and had heavy weed pressue.

Has anyone else seen the Quality of workmanship decrease due to the Ride -on machines?
    P.S this is not a thread started to bash the ride-on (I do love mine) however I believe there are situations where they are not the best suited

2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

No question in my mind that i can perform a slightly more accurate
    and quality application to target areas with a push spreader and
    backpack sprayer and tank/hose
    as oposed to a ride on--
    but,
    we are in business to make money, and must each be profitable to
    suit our own needs,

all that said, i have never been questioned once or recieved complaint
    about my own use of ride on machines, but i do back pack all edges
    and around all plantings/beds etc.... and hand spread/push spread
    small/tight areas
    so i think its more a matter of the applicator than the ride-on machine

3. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

I took the time last season and trained what I thought would be a great person for a Pg. This year I'm pulling hose on 90% of my big lawns, The weed control from last year just sucked. Now I'm debating on keeping either of the PGs I got. I know I'm selling my 07. I really used to like the ultra I use to use because you could see the spray(Except for the electrical issues it always had) It also seems the magnum is more prone to drift. Untill someone invents a rideon that hovers so there is no problems on berms,hills, or ditches i don't think any of us will be happy.(darn it I just gave someone an idea):laugh:

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

My Z-Spray has a onboard 50' hose real that works well for those sensitive edges. :) No problem whatsoever w/ weed control in lawns though;)

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I still like my PG Ultra, but...sometimes I have found a few weeds along the edges of the road. And I found a few weeds near the flowers and bushes, curved areas and narrow spots. And last year I forgot turn off the spray when going between some flowers and some bushes--injured both. The Permagreen applies fertilizer nicely, better than liquid fertilizer. So I am not getting rid of Permagreen, but I feel I get a better weed control job with the hose and gun. And now I am more careful to use a hand sprayer for those difficult areas the ride-on cannot reach. Of course, that takes more time, so the time saved by the Permagreen is zero on small lawns and lawns with a lot of detail spraying. I am thinking it is best to use the hose on lawns smaller than 10,000 sqft.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I came to that conclusion pretty quickly when I bought my Ultra 4 yrs ago. I still use a hose and gun for my Spring and Fall pre-emergence apps. So I'm only dragging hose 2 of my 6 rounds and they are at the coolest time of year. I probably always will. I just have more confidence that everything that needs to be covered is covered. JMO

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I think it is a comfort level. And also the ability and competence of the tech.

The lawns only look as good as the person applying to it. I see lawns by the big boys that are top quality and others that I swear they put a sign out and leave. But they all have the same products at their disposal.

I have pulled hose in the past. I wouldnt trade the ride-on back for anything. More efficient and less tired. I do carry a hand spreader in the hopper for corners and a 2 gall hand can for edges, mailboxes, A/C units etc.

We get tremendous results but you do have to have a tech that is doing the right thing and not just going thru the motions. Especially now that all the annuals are planted along the bed edges.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I ride sit down, but use a backpack on all edges and walks.